Pokémon X and Y Fan Community
March 28, 2024, 07:02:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery SHOUTBOX Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Guys, I seriously need help with basic chemistry. Can anyone help?

Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Guys, I seriously need help with basic chemistry. Can anyone help?  (Read 68 times)
Arcade Sona Miku
Smile! I love you!
Malevolent Murkrow

Level: 69

Starrk is a mustard butt.

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
« on: April 07, 2012, 09:45:39 pm »

Valence electrons are apparently the electrons in the outermost shell.
Maximum number of valence electron in shells:
K - 2
L - 8
M - 18
N - 32

Neutral calcium atom has 20 electrons.
2 in the K shell. (2)
8 in the L shell. (10)
10 in the M shell. (20)

Therefore, Calcium should have 10 valence electrons. But it has 2. Why. Can anyone please help?

Well, if I look at subshells, it would explain it... because there would be 2 electrons in the outermost subshell.
But I don't think valence electrons are the electrons in the outermost subshell.. I don't know

If I look at Chlorine with 17 electrons..

1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p5 which is 17 electrons.. then it should have 5 valence electrons since theres 5 in the outermost subshell, but it has 7 according to the entire internet, which would mean valence electrons are the ones in the outermost shell.

But my two findings contradict each other. Somethings wrong..
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Magoo
Princess
Gargantuan Gabite

Level: 34

Wayward Son

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 10:20:29 pm »

I though I could help you but then:
ENGLISH SCIENTIFIC WORDS EVERYWHERE.
I gave up.

Sorry.
Report Spam   Logged

In the distance, that day, when the star became music.
Arcade Sona Miku
Smile! I love you!
Malevolent Murkrow

Level: 69

Starrk is a mustard butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 11:02:51 pm »

I though I could help you but then:
ENGLISH SCIENTIFIC WORDS EVERYWHERE.
I gave up.

Sorry.
but.. this is.... basic.. chemi- *breaks down crying*

naw, i asked on a chemistry forum and i got the answer straight off. gotta love nerds. <3

Valence electrons are electrons in the outermost energy level, which is also the outermost shell.

When you are looking at an electron configuration, let's say the one for chlorine, the letters represent the subshell, or the shape of the orbitals. The numbers in front of the letters represent the energy level of the subshell. So for chlorine, we can see that it has electrons in three energy levels by looking at its electron configuration.

Since valence electrons are electrons in the outermost energy level, all you have to do is determine the outermost energy level and then count the number of electrons in it.

For chlorine, the outermost energy level is 3, so we just count the electrons in all the orbitals preceded by the number 3. There are 2 in the 3s orbital and 5 in the 3p orbitals, giving a total of 7 valence electrons.

For calcium, if you wrote out the electron configuration, the highest energy level would be 4, and the only occupied orbital in the 4th energy level would be the 4s orbital. Since there are 2 electrons in the 4s orbital and none in the 4p orbitals, there are only 2 electrons in the entire 4th energy level. Therefore, there are 2 valence electrons in calcium.

note: obviously, clicking on the hyperlink on top of the second quote gets you nowhere, as it is on a different forum
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: