Pokémon X and Y Fan Community
March 29, 2024, 02:54:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery SHOUTBOX Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Automobile Topic

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 51
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Automobile Topic  (Read 5728 times)
Sabotage99
Captain of the 10th Division
Malevolent Murkrow

Level: 22

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #345 on: February 12, 2013, 11:34:11 pm »

You need a license to own vinyl? da fuq?

the cars you egg....
Report Spam   Logged

I SHALL KILL WITH MY CUTENESS. XD
Go be a golden pony and play with the silvery wolf in those plains.

Coyote Starrk
The Ultimate in Prescribed Drugs
Wrathful Whirlipede

Level: 8

Primera Espada

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 12, 2013, 11:35:00 pm »

And you call both of them trucks though, so I don't know which ones you talk about.

edit: vinyl wrapping (such as what you see done on cars), is different the the upholstery wrapping that you put on boxes for subs and such.
I need glasses but if I bring it up I will never hear the end of it ever. I can hardly make out words damnit, my vision is blurry as all hell. ;_;

I only call them trucks when it's specifically about pick ups, otherwise I call them pickem ups.

How is it different?
Report Spam   Logged

Vlatko
Pikachu Boy
Malevolent Murkrow

Level: 26

Pikachu boy!

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 12, 2013, 11:43:00 pm »

I need glasses but if I bring it up I will never hear the end of it ever. I can hardly make out words damnit, my vision is blurry as all hell. ;_;

I only call them trucks when it's specifically about pick ups, otherwise I call them pickem ups.

How is it different?
Here in Australia (and im guessing many other continents/countries, don't call them pickup trucks, so when we hear trucks, we think of the first one. That's the major difference. Ones this huge thing that goes 0-100 in 40.3 seconds used to carry loads of stuff (merchandise, but mainly fuel and that) and the other is basically a car.
Report Spam   Logged

Coyote Starrk
Wrathful Whirlipede

Primera Espada

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 12, 2013, 11:46:48 pm »

Here in Australia (and im guessing many other continents/countries, don't call them pickup trucks, so when we hear trucks, we think of the first one. That's the major difference. Ones this huge thing that goes 0-100 in 40.3 seconds used to carry loads of stuff (merchandise, but mainly fuel and that) and the other is basically a car.
In yurope they are called lorries, in murika they are called trucks/rigs/tractors depending on who you ask.

I meant the difference between vinyls. ._.
Report Spam   Logged

Vlatko
Pikachu Boy
Malevolent Murkrow

Pikachu boy!

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 13, 2013, 12:04:49 am »

In yurope they are called lorries, in murika they are called trucks/rigs/tractors depending on who you ask.

I meant the difference between vinyls. ._.
Upholstery vinyl is the stuff that's used on furniture + sub boxes and stuff, the stuff you staple on. That vinyl is good for wood stuff, aka. furniture + sub boxes. While the stuff you use to wrap your car is the decal vinyl stuff with the adhesive backing is this real thin plastic stuff (a lot like photo paper mixed with that gladwrap stuff you use to wrap your food in). May be called vinyl, but it's different stuff. If you wrap the upholstery vinyl on your car your car wouldn't look like a car, it'd look like a car shaped couch or something. It's like saying, why don't I get the music vinyl and wrap my sub box in that, they are completely different for completely different things.
Report Spam   Logged

Coyote Starrk
Wrathful Whirlipede

Primera Espada

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 13, 2013, 12:07:17 am »

Upholstery vinyl is the stuff that's used on furniture + sub boxes and stuff, the stuff you staple on. That vinyl is good for wood stuff, aka. furniture + sub boxes. While the stuff you use to wrap your car is the decal vinyl stuff with the adhesive backing is this real thin plastic stuff (a lot like photo paper mixed with that gladwrap stuff you use to wrap your food in). May be called vinyl, but it's different stuff. If you wrap the upholstery vinyl on your car your car wouldn't look like a car, it'd look like a car shaped couch or something. It's like saying, why don't I get the music vinyl and wrap my sub box in that, they are completely different for completely different things.
Why can't you use decal vinyl on a sub box?
Report Spam   Logged

Vlatko
Pikachu Boy
Malevolent Murkrow

Pikachu boy!

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 13, 2013, 12:13:51 am »

Why can't you use decal vinyl on a sub box?
Because sub boxes are usually made out of MDF, which hte decal vinyl won't stick as properly as it should and obviously won't show up as well. Won't give it the same effect as fibreglassing + paint does for that glossyness that you want. You would need to cover the MDF with something else before smoothing it out with 1000 of hours of sound paper before you can get decal vinyl to look good on it. Which makes more sense to use fibreglass. Especially because with fibreglass you can curve it any way you possibly want, not something you can do with MDF.
Report Spam   Logged

Coyote Starrk
Wrathful Whirlipede

Primera Espada

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 13, 2013, 12:17:25 am »

Because sub boxes are usually made out of MDF, which hte decal vinyl won't stick as properly as it should and obviously won't show up as well. Won't give it the same effect as fibreglassing + paint does for that glossyness that you want. You would need to cover the MDF with something else before smoothing it out with 1000 of hours of sound paper before you can get decal vinyl to look good on it. Which makes more sense to use fibreglass. Especially because with fibreglass you can curve it any way you possibly want, not something you can do with MDF.
MDF?
Report Spam   Logged

Vlatko
Pikachu Boy
Malevolent Murkrow

Pikachu boy!

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 13, 2013, 12:23:03 am »

MDF?
-.- Urgghhhhhh. Medium density fibreboard, which is wood that is manufactured into boards, rather then with natural wood which obviously does not come in those sizes, unless you have trees on steroids. So unless you are going to cut the wood down thin, and join all the planks together, and spend forever just making the wood, then MDF is what you want. Most furniture (desks mainly, like those desks that are white) is made with MDF or Chip board, which chipboard is more of a papery type of board (the cheaper/less thick version of mdf). It is then covered in wood tape sorta stuff (forgot the proper name, we just referred to it as wood tape at my school), which makes it looks like authentic wood (or that plain white look), unless your willing to spend lots of money on proper wood desk (thick desk and what not, I guarantee it's made out of mdf/chipboard).
Report Spam   Logged

Coyote Starrk
Wrathful Whirlipede

Primera Espada

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 13, 2013, 12:24:52 am »

-.- Urgghhhhhh. Medium density fibreboard, which is wood that is manufactured into boards, rather then with natural wood which obviously does not come in those sizes, unless you have trees on steroids. So unless you are going to cut the wood down thin, and join all the planks together, and spend forever just making the wood, then MDF is what you want. Most furniture (desks mainly, like those desks that are white) is made with MDF or Chip board, which chipboard is more of a papery type of board (the cheaper/less thick version of mdf). It is then covered in wood tape sorta stuff (forgot the proper name, we just referred to it as wood tape at my school), which makes it looks like authentic wood (or that plain white look), unless your willing to spend lots of money on proper wood desk (thick desk and what not, I guarantee it's made out of mdf/chipboard).
thats saw board in the US...
Report Spam   Logged

Sabotage99
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 13, 2013, 03:45:46 am »

thats saw board in the US...

its MDF in the US as well. its what all carpenters and car audio people that are american refer to it as. this is the first time ive heard saw board...
Report Spam   Logged

Coyote Starrk
Wrathful Whirlipede

Primera Espada

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 13, 2013, 07:59:48 am »

its MDF in the US as well. its what all carpenters and car audio people that are american refer to it as. this is the first time ive heard saw board...
ive never heard it called called mdf anywhere in the us...
Report Spam   Logged

Sabotage99
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 13, 2013, 06:13:15 pm »

ive never heard it called called mdf anywhere in the us...

everyone you ever watch on youtube and everyone on the american tv shows say mdf
Report Spam   Logged

Coyote Starrk
Wrathful Whirlipede

Primera Espada

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 13, 2013, 06:21:43 pm »

everyone you ever watch on youtube and everyone on the american tv shows say mdf
IRL carpenters say saw board, people I talk too say saw board, and a good portion of the peeps on HGTV/DIY say sawboard. :\

Any word on your car?

And does anyone else gets butt mad when Top Gear takes a good, possibly rare car and completely destroys it with no care at all? :c
Report Spam   Logged

Sabotage99
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 13, 2013, 06:33:46 pm »

IRL carpenters say saw board, people I talk too say saw board, and a good portion of the peeps on HGTV/DIY say sawboard. :\

Any word on your car?

And does anyone else gets butt mad when Top Gear takes a good, possibly rare car and completely destroys it with no care at all? :c

no word on the car

and eh not really. ill most likely never be able to afford a good, rare car anyway so the less people that own them the less jelly i am
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 51
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: