Pokémon X and Y Fan Community
March 28, 2024, 04:58:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery SHOUTBOX Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

really simple physics question... well, im pretty sure its simple.

Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: really simple physics question... well, im pretty sure its simple.  (Read 81 times)
Arcade Sona Miku
Smile! I love you!
Malevolent Murkrow

Level: 69

Starrk is a mustard butt.

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
« on: January 22, 2012, 09:14:08 pm »

I drink out of a juice box with a straw. While I'm sucking it in, I stop it with my tongue and take it out. Juice is magically trapped inside the straw. A lot of people have done this but.. I don't get it. Why isn't the juice falling until I take my tongue off it? Newton denied.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Vlatko
Pikachu Boy
Malevolent Murkrow

Level: 26

Pikachu boy!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 09:19:49 pm »

Not sure if this is the correct reason but I'm sure it's similar. If your blocking off alll the air from the top then there is only one entrance/exit (at the bottom) now the juice is in there because you sucked all the air out of the straw leaving only liquid inside it. So air is trying to enter from the bottom pushing up but there is no air inside the straw for it to go through, causing it to cause a layer under the liquid stopping it from falling... seems logical to me but I'm sure scientifically they'll talk about how it creates vacuums and ****.
Report Spam   Logged

Arcade Sona Miku
Smile! I love you!
Malevolent Murkrow

Level: 69

Starrk is a mustard butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 09:30:14 pm »

Not sure if this is the correct reason but I'm sure it's similar. If your blocking off alll the air from the top then there is only one entrance/exit (at the bottom) now the juice is in there because you sucked all the air out of the straw leaving only liquid inside it. So air is trying to enter from the bottom pushing up but there is no air inside the straw for it to go through, causing it to cause a layer under the liquid stopping it from falling... seems logical to me but I'm sure scientifically they'll talk about how it creates vacuums and ****.
Yeah, that seems pretty logical. But then again, juice is a lot more denser than air. So air itself shouldn't be lifting juice up.
Report Spam   Logged
Vlatko
Pikachu Boy
Malevolent Murkrow

Level: 26

Pikachu boy!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 09:34:07 pm »

Just did a quick google search and found this

I don't have enough time to read and explain it here in short because I need to go somewhere but here have a read.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2000-05/959607056.Ph.r.html

edit: last few lines

Remember that a droplet has surface tension, and attracts the sides of the straw. The only way that air can get into the straw is by BREAKING the droplet's surface tension. If the straw is narrow, air is not strong enough! Sometimes, for a medium-diameter straw, if you tilt the straw, the weight of the droplet will pull itself away from part of the straw. This will help the air break the surface tension, so it can get in. The water will drain out, drop by drop.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: