Pokémon X and Y Fan Community
April 19, 2024, 02:17:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery SHOUTBOX Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Hearthstone: Heroes or Warcraft

Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Hearthstone: Heroes or Warcraft  (Read 341 times)
JissSaukDelux
Playful Porygon

Level: 4

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: October 04, 2013, 12:38:41 pm »

You may or may not know, but Blizzard Entertainment, makers of such games as World of Warcraft, Diablo, and Starcraft, have spent the past several months developing a collectable (not trading because trading isn't a thing in it) card game based on WoW called Hearthstone Heroes of Warcrart. The game is currently in closed beta with the beta wipe having happened very recently. This means that once bugs are fixed and after a bit more tweaking, the game will be released. This topic should be used to discuss, strategize, and maybe make match ups once the game is in full release. If you happen to have a beta key, feel free to tell us stories of your experiences with the game so far and what we can expect.

Personally, I've been hyped for this ever since I saw TotalBiscuit's WTF is of the game, and what excites me most is arena mode, a mode where you make a deck on a random draft of "you pick between these three cards and try to fabricate a good deck".

Full Rules of Hearthstone

Each deck of 30 cards is lead by your hero. The Warrior, The Mage, The Druid, The Shaman, The Warlock, the Hunter, The Paladin, The Rouge, and The Priest.

Each turn, you gain 1 mana crystal which can be spent playing cards. The maximum is ten, but certain cards may push you over that temporarily. One example is The Coin, a consolation to players going second which gives them an extra mana for the turn it's used.

Your cards consist of Minions, Monsters with their own health and attack power with special abilities unique to each.

Spells with are simple, do this, cards that can be empowered by other cards

Weapons which allow your hero to attack

Each Hero has their own power as well. Warrior adds armor, Mage does one damage to anything Druid gains low armor and attack power for the turn, Shaman summons weak special powered totems, Warlock sacrifices health for the ability to draw cards, Hunter does two direct damage to the enemy hero, Paladin summons a weak minion that is consistent, Rouge gives herself a knife, Priest heals two health to anything.

If your hero loses all 30 health, you lose. You also lose if you run out of cards to draw. Your hand can consist of no more than 10 cards at a time otherwise new cards are discarded.

Anything going into battle will deal and take damage at the same time. Example, a 3 attack 2 health (3/2) fights a 2/3, and they both die. This also applies for your hero attacking minions but not enemy heroes as your weapon is sheathed when it's not your turn.

There are too many abilities on the cards to go over them all, but they range from this card heals things, to one specific card that actually replaces your hero.
Report Spam   Logged

Would you believe me if I said I had a dragon for a ****?
You should, because I do.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Coyote Starrk
The Ultimate in Prescribed Drugs
Wrathful Whirlipede

Level: 8

Primera Espada

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 01:04:44 pm »

Is ti a card game or a video game about cards? Is it free to play or do you have to pay a subscription fee?
Report Spam   Logged

JissSaukDelux
Playful Porygon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 01:08:01 pm »

Is ti a card game or a video game about cards? Is it free to play or do you have to pay a subscription fee?
It's an online Collectable Card Game that upon full release will be free to play. You can pay real money to enter the arena or buy booster packs, but you can also earn money in game to do exactly the same thing. It's easy enough to earn a booster pack a day with the daily quests they give you (Win 5 games as a Warrior for example), as well as with the reward of 10 gold per 3 in game wins. No subscription.
Report Spam   Logged

Coyote Starrk
Wrathful Whirlipede

Primera Espada

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 01:10:08 pm »

It's an online Collectable Card Game that upon full release will be free to play. You can pay real money to enter the arena or buy booster packs, but you can also earn money in game to do exactly the same thing. It's easy enough to earn a booster pack a day with the daily quests they give you (Win 5 games as a Warrior for example), as well as with the reward of 10 gold per 3 in game wins. No subscription.
so do I have to know how to WoW to play it or...?
Report Spam   Logged

JissSaukDelux
Playful Porygon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 01:12:54 pm »

Not at all. The only connection to WoW is the art and charecter names. The big deal is the class system. Basically, you control the leader of all your cards (Warrior, Shaman, ect) each has their own special power (Warrior can add armor to himself, Shaman summons weak totems with special powers, ect) and they also have class specific cards (Warrior has special weapons, Mage has lots of magic).
Report Spam   Logged

Coyote Starrk
Wrathful Whirlipede

Primera Espada

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 01:17:21 pm »

Not at all. The only connection to WoW is the art and charecter names. The big deal is the class system. Basically, you control the leader of all your cards (Warrior, Shaman, ect) each has their own special power (Warrior can add armor to himself, Shaman summons weak totems with special powers, ect) and they also have class specific cards (Warrior has special weapons, Mage has lots of magic).
so do you control like monsters or are your cards like buffs and armor and you try to become the most powerful character?
Report Spam   Logged

JissSaukDelux
Playful Porygon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 01:24:03 pm »

Both.
There are more or less, three kinds of Cards. Minions, Spells, and Weapons.

Minions are monsters. They can attack once per turn starting the turn after they're summoned (unless they have the Charge Ability which lets them attack right away). They have attack power and health, and when they fight each other, they both do damage to each-other. (Example 3/2 fights 2/3. Both die). They all have their own traits and abilities

Spells do whatever they say on them. If it's a damaging spell, it can be powered up by minions with the Spell Damage ability.

Weapons allow your hero to attack. They will also take damage from attacking (you have 30 health). And the weapon will lose durability. The idea of this is you trade health for board control.
Report Spam   Logged

Coyote Starrk
Wrathful Whirlipede

Primera Espada

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 01:27:03 pm »

Both.
There are more or less, three kinds of Cards. Minions, Spells, and Weapons.

Minions are monsters. They can attack once per turn starting the turn after they're summoned (unless they have the Charge Ability which lets them attack right away). They have attack power and health, and when they fight each other, they both do damage to each-other. (Example 3/2 fights 2/3. Both die). They all have their own traits and abilities

Spells do whatever they say on them. If it's a damaging spell, it can be powered up by minions with the Spell Damage ability.

Weapons allow your hero to attack. They will also take damage from attacking (you have 30 health). And the weapon will lose durability. The idea of this is you trade health for board control.
board control? so it's like a chess game with cards?
Report Spam   Logged

JissSaukDelux
Playful Porygon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 01:30:11 pm »

I use the term board control out of habit. It means when you're in a state where you're overwhelming your opponent. Usually having lots of minions on the field while your enemy has few to none.

Most games I've seen don't last ten rounds. Each card, regardless of type has a mana cost. You start with 1 mana on your first turn which grows by one each turn. You can play as many minions, weapons or spells you want as long as you have the mana. If you're going second, you also get a card called 'The Coin' which gives you an extra mana for the turn.
Report Spam   Logged

JissSaukDelux
Playful Porygon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 01:38:23 pm »

Going to add the full rules to the first post to make it simpler for anyone with no clue about this game like Coyote Starrk.
Report Spam   Logged

Coyote Starrk
Wrathful Whirlipede

Primera Espada

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 01:49:14 pm »

I use the term board control out of habit. It means when you're in a state where you're overwhelming your opponent. Usually having lots of minions on the field while your enemy has few to none.

Most games I've seen don't last ten rounds. Each card, regardless of type has a mana cost. You start with 1 mana on your first turn which grows by one each turn. You can play as many minions, weapons or spells you want as long as you have the mana. If you're going second, you also get a card called 'The Coin' which gives you an extra mana for the turn.
ok then.

I may have to check this out when it's released.

any idea as when it will be released?
Report Spam   Logged

JissSaukDelux
Playful Porygon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 01:51:24 pm »

Blizzard is being tight lipped. They have promised that it'll be released before the end of 2013 however. So we can probably expect the full release within a month or so. I'll make an update when it's out. If there are any questions, I'll answer them if I can. If anyone actually knows anything about this game, feel free to speak up.
Report Spam   Logged

Coyote Starrk
Wrathful Whirlipede

Primera Espada

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 01:57:14 pm »

Blizzard is being tight lipped. They have promised that it'll be released before the end of 2013 however. So we can probably expect the full release within a month or so. I'll make an update when it's out. If there are any questions, I'll answer them if I can. If anyone actually knows anything about this game, feel free to speak up.
I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Will it be just for PC or will it be coming to consoles as well?
Report Spam   Logged

JissSaukDelux
Playful Porygon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 01:58:45 pm »

PC, Mac, and eventually, iPad.

Apparently, even lousy computers can run it as long as you have a good net connection so you don't constantly DC.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: