Pokémon X and Y Fan Community
March 29, 2024, 09:04:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery SHOUTBOX Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Please help; how do I get to sleep?

Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Please help; how do I get to sleep?  (Read 429 times)
Arcade Sona Miku
Smile! I love you!
Malevolent Murkrow

Level: 69

Starrk is a mustard butt.

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
« on: September 05, 2013, 04:09:02 pm »

I keep googling it and each page gives me the same tips that either never work or are extremely obvious.

Reducing lighting (my room is like pitch black), don't drink caffeine within a number of hours before sleeping, read, use your imagination, don't eat foods high in protein or sugar before going to bed.

And a lot more. And all of them aren't working.

Can someone please give me an effective tip that actually works? Eg; possibly any easy-to-obtain psychoactive substances that assist in sleeping?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steel
Shellfish Pokémon
Gallant Gligar

Level: 43

カメックス

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 05:25:29 pm »

I keep googling it and each page gives me the same tips that either never work or are extremely obvious.

Reducing lighting (my room is like pitch black), don't drink caffeine within a number of hours before sleeping, read, use your imagination, don't eat foods high in protein or sugar before going to bed.

And a lot more. And all of them aren't working.

Can someone please give me an effective tip that actually works? Eg; possibly any easy-to-obtain psychoactive substances that assist in sleeping?
Watch TV for a bit, it'll get your mind off trying to sleep.
Or make the room dark, and play on a bright screen, like a DS or phone, that gets you mind off it and make you want to close your eyes.
Report Spam   Logged

Chaos
Effeminate pansy with no social skills
Gutsy Golbat

Level: 17

Hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 05:25:57 pm »

Drugs.
Report Spam   Logged

Arcade Sona Miku
Smile! I love you!
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 06:02:02 pm »

Or make the room dark, and play on a bright screen, like a DS or phone, that gets you mind off it and make you want to close your eyes.
Sorry but it's tips like these that aren't working Sad

In fact, if these tips in general aren't working, maybe I'm just really asking for names of over-the-counter sleeping drugs >.>

Because unless I'm really tired, when I go to bed, no matter what I seem to do, I take way too long to sleep if I'm sober. Can be hours.

I can be extremely cozy and not move a single limb for 30min - 2 hours, but I will still be awake.
Report Spam   Logged
Atomica
The humor is so sharp, so witty, so subtle, in fact, that you'd almost swear there wasn't any at all.
Global Moderator
Devious Dusclops

Level: 38

Pokémon Friend Code:: Black: 1635 3527 0646

Boba Fett sucks

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 06:04:02 pm »

In fact, if these tips in general aren't working, maybe I'm just really asking for names of over-the-counter sleeping drugs >.>
yeah things like TV, books to try to sleep doesn't work and I've always found it silly advice.  They keep your mind active with focus on something and will keep you up if you keep doing it.  You have to switch off the tv or close the book before you get to bed otherwise you'd just stay up all night reading the book or such.
Report Spam   Logged

Pull List: Smallville Season #11, The Phantom Stranger, Arrow, Avengers, Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time, Trinity of Sin Pandora, New Avengers, Justice League, Justice League Dark, Justice League of America
Events: Infinity, Forever Evil
Arcade Sona Miku
Smile! I love you!
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 06:05:44 pm »

yeah things like TV, books to try to sleep doesn't work and I've always found it silly advice.  They keep your mind active with focus on something and will keep you up if you keep doing it.  You have to switch off the tv or close the book before you get to bed otherwise you'd just stay up all night reading the book or such.
Agreed, but at the same time, it's really common advice, so I guess that advice must work on a fair number of people.

Not us, though.
Report Spam   Logged
Steel
Shellfish Pokémon
Gallant Gligar

Level: 43

カメックス

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 07:12:19 pm »

it works for me.
You have to just keep your mind preoccupied. Don't think of falling asleep, get lost in something else.
When I can't sleep i play a video game with lights on and setting for a bit
then i fall asleep normally, wake up, and forgot i even struggled sleeping.
Report Spam   Logged

Daniel the Buizel
Bashful Buizel
Global Moderator
Courageous Combusken

Level: 35

You Burned the Rope and Saved Us All <3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 07:38:45 pm »

It's the exact opposite for me, those things keep me up all night.

One thing that I heard helps is using your room almost exclusively for sleeping, and doing all other work in some other room.  People have trouble sleeping in a room that they're comfortable working in.
Report Spam   Logged

5:29 PM - Buizel: I'm just gonna try to calm down the only way I know how
5:29 PM - Buizel: playing fallout and posting shitty screenshots with an unrelated caption
5:30 PM - Buizel: [link]
5:30 PM - Zohaibman72: you stripped your clothes?
5:30 PM - Zohaibman72: turned into a fox
5:30 PM - Zohaibman72: and got sad?
5:30 PM - Buizel: yup
5:30 PM - Buizel: isn't that what most people do?

|
Coyote Starrk
The Ultimate in Prescribed Drugs
Wrathful Whirlipede

Level: 8

Primera Espada

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 08:06:52 pm »

wake up earlier and start going to sleep at the same time every day. after awhile pavlov will make you sleep :u
Report Spam   Logged

Magoo
Princess
Gargantuan Gabite

Level: 34

Wayward Son

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 10:20:06 pm »

wake up earlier and start going to sleep at the same time every day. after awhile pavlov will make you sleep :u

This.

If you go to bed and wake up at the same time always, your body will get used to it.
Your brain will know it's time to wake up or sleep.

Also, don't do drugs.
It never helped sleeping.
Report Spam   Logged

In the distance, that day, when the star became music.
Aperl
Eccentric Elgyem

Level: 20

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 10:57:00 pm »

A glass of white wine at dessert makes me sleepy fast.

But usually, I read a book, staying away from screens if I can (now I'm reading on my iPhone so I'm counterproductive), and at some point my eyes close by themselves. I don't look at what time it is.
Also, I have three alarms. I need to wake up at 6:15, so I have one alarm at 5:00, one at 6:05 and one at 6:15. The first one, I don't even realize that I woke up to turn it off. (It rings really loud so it's impossible that I've ignored it, orelse my whole family would wake up). After that one, that may seem very futile, I sleep like I've never slept. I cherish this whole hour. Then, the two successive alarms get me out of bed without problem.
Report Spam   Logged

WHy do i have a feeling your going to be the serious wise man of the forum Tongue
D:< I hate you! That made WAY to much sense.
Coyote Starrk
The Ultimate in Prescribed Drugs
Wrathful Whirlipede

Level: 8

Primera Espada

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 11:05:35 pm »

A glass of white wine at dessert makes me sleepy fast.

But usually, I read a book, staying away from screens if I can (now I'm reading on my iPhone so I'm counterproductive), and at some point my eyes close by themselves. I don't look at what time it is.
Also, I have three alarms. I need to wake up at 6:15, so I have one alarm at 5:00, one at 6:05 and one at 6:15. The first one, I don't even realize that I woke up to turn it off. (It rings really loud so it's impossible that I've ignored it, orelse my whole family would wake up). After that one, that may seem very futile, I sleep like I've never slept. I cherish this whole hour. Then, the two successive alarms get me out of bed without problem.
Why not get that alarm that rolls around and forces you to get up and chase it to turn it off?
Report Spam   Logged

Arcade Sona Miku
Smile! I love you!
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 11:32:11 pm »

This.

If you go to bed and wake up at the same time always, your body will get used to it.
Your brain will know it's time to wake up or sleep.

Also, don't do drugs.
It never helped sleeping.
Oh, drugs help getting to sleep like a beast!

The sleep will be much less refreshing though. You're gonna be pretty tired the next day. x.x

Obviously it depends on the drug, but the ones I have in mind..
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
Princess
Gargantuan Gabite

Level: 34

Wayward Son

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 06:01:25 am »

Oh, drugs help getting to sleep like a beast!

The sleep will be much less refreshing though. You're gonna be pretty tired the next day. x.x

Obviously it depends on the drug, but the ones I have in mind..

That's cause you don't sleep.
You just don't realize you're still awake.
Report Spam   Logged

In the distance, that day, when the star became music.
Aperl
Eccentric Elgyem

Level: 20

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 09:48:16 am »

Why not get that alarm that rolls around and forces you to get up and chase it to turn it off?
Well my alarm is never closer than 3 meters from my bed, so I need to get out of my bed in order to turn it off. This makes the alarm effect last longer, and thus the sound is echoing in my mind as I try to get my sleep back the second and third time. The impression is strong enough so that I'm not tempted to go back to sleep. The first alarm goes unnoticed in my system though, which makes this approach even more powerful in my case.
Report Spam   Logged

WHy do i have a feeling your going to be the serious wise man of the forum Tongue
D:< I hate you! That made WAY to much sense.
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: