Pokémon X and Y Fan Community
March 28, 2024, 07:37:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery SHOUTBOX Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Programming Lessons - My Contribution

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Programming Lessons - My Contribution  (Read 1141 times)
Aperl
Eccentric Elgyem

Level: 20

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: July 23, 2013, 02:13:41 pm »

Hi guys, as you probably remember, a few months back I said that I could contribute to this community and I suggested, among all the ideas, to teach programming. Well, this proposition is now reality. I started tutoring my brother and best friend about two weeks ago. I wanted to share exercises and lessons with them in an organized manner, so I decided to make a forum for it. I am writing "course material" when I have free time (which is when I'm at work), and I try to come up with as many exercises as possible.

Now, there are things that I need to make clear. This is not a discussion forum. Everything is programming-oriented. Lessons, exercises, help, tutoring, and at some point hopefully, community projects. Also understand that it is not an attempt to move people away from Evionet. I'm myself not really invested in discussions in here, and I don't want to play babysitters over there. Anyways, every thread is public, so you don't even need to join. I really don't mind the member count, frankly I'm expecting up to 7 people to be in there, and we're already 3. Membership would be useful for work submission, that said. The forum doesn't care at all about post count, awards are disabled (I may put them back when we'll be doing projects, we'll see), karma is reputation (but will probably be removed), no arcade, and categories/sections are really simple and straightforward. I won't deal with the graphical interface. We're really here to focus on programming, and we should be serious about it.

All I suggest is that you read the topic the link below will be sending you to. It will introduce you to the site and make you think about whether or not this is for you. Keep in mind that I am not encouraging anyone to change their career plans. Programming can be a really motivating hobby. Programming becomes a very useful tool, may it be to do calculations (creating powerful algorithms to solve what would take you years on paper), help with writing and organizing stuff (coding forms and templates, graphical interfaces for data entry), cheating (coding something to solve your homework - which I've done more than once), adding on to existing stuff (modding a game) or creating your own (games or applications). Possibilities are endless, and as soon as you will get the hang of it, you will be able to do pretty much anything without feeling that it is work. The first lesson has been available since yesterday, and helps grasp the kind of critical thinking required to program.

There are some of you I really look forward to see in there. But don't join without thinking about it. If you think you will drop after the first few lessons, then don't bother. I'm also looking for teachers/tutors/evil minions, so if anyone is interested *cough* Shihen and Sato *cough* feel free to join the party. Feel free to tell some of your real-life friends about the website if they are looking forward to learning to code. It might be an interesting experience, and since we probably won't be a big group, it would be like private tutoring.

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, PUP Goes The World, by Men Without Hats!
Padawan University of Programming (PUP)

Thanks for the read.
Report Spam   Logged

WHy do i have a feeling your going to be the serious wise man of the forum Tongue
D:< I hate you! That made WAY to much sense.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

Level: 44

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 03:19:52 pm »

Joined, reading the algorithms post now! Thanks Rosim Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

Level: 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 04:53:26 pm »

OH GOD, ROSIM! SCRAP FREESMFHOSTING BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!

Seriously, use 000webhost if you want to maintain backups and have freedom backend providing you want to stick with something free. Requires a little more work to set-up but we're all programmers here, right? Tongue

However, getting on topic a little. I took a look around and it's looking good, I really love your content so far and the way you've structured it. Really nice job! Sadly I don't have time to do tutoring in full swing as I'm busy with work and I'm working on an Android app in my spare time. I might poke my head around to offer what I can though.

I will certainly send people your way should I find some aspiring programmers! Cheesy

(Amen to coding your way around maths homework - I do that too sometimes...)
Report Spam   Logged

Majestic
Battling Master
Hungry Hippopotas

Level: 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 05:17:25 pm »

Registered Smiley

Don't know anything about programming but I'd love to learn.
Report Spam   Logged

"Losers are defeated by failure, winners are inspired by it."
Aperl
Eccentric Elgyem

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 09:48:07 am »

Thanks for the enthusiasm guys!

I am currently writing the second lesson, which will be about configuring the Java environment and working with Eclipse.

@Sato: Teaching is the greatest learning experience Smiley. Thanks for joining!

@Shihen: I discovered I have a 000webhost account. But wtf I don't understand a thing about it. I'm keeping all the lessons on my computer anyways so I'm not really afraid of losing stuff. And lessons are already long enough to come up with, I don't want to spend any more time dealing with the forum infrastructure. As for tutoring, I meant it more as in answering to eventual questions, giving advice from time to time, and telling me if I forgot to mention some stuff. Cheating is believing Tongue

@DarkDragon: I'm glad to see you with us, I hope you'll enjoy it ^^.

Report Spam   Logged

WHy do i have a feeling your going to be the serious wise man of the forum Tongue
klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 11:18:52 am »

A question though, how much knowledge of math will be needed for this? It's not exactly my best subject...

Also, what language will we be studying once it gets into it? It's just that I might not be able to study your stuff as i was planning on learning JavaScript through the holiday for school, and it would be tough to do two courses at once.
Report Spam   Logged
Aperl
Eccentric Elgyem

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 12:37:10 pm »

A question though, how much knowledge of math will be needed for this? It's not exactly my best subject...

Also, what language will we be studying once it gets into it? It's just that I might not be able to study your stuff as i was planning on learning JavaScript through the holiday for school, and it would be tough to do two courses at once.
Don't worry, some of the exercises and challenges may at some point require some advanced mathematical thinking, but mostly I'm trying to keep things in a way that I can teach all of this to people starting at age 12.
The language I'll be showing is Java, simply because I know it better, and its development environments are free (in comparison with the $1500 Visual Studio that I'm using for C#). But most of the lessons will be applicable in any language, especially the first ones (arithmetics, variables, conditions, loops, Strings, functions, arrays, classes). I think that at your current level you are above 95% of what I'm going to cover in the next weeks, so don't worry about your time. And you can do the exercises I'm giving in Javascript if you want, I won't be correcting only Java code. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 12:43:52 pm »

Don't worry, some of the exercises and challenges may at some point require some advanced mathematical thinking, but mostly I'm trying to keep things in a way that I can teach all of this to people starting at age 12.
The language I'll be showing is Java, simply because I know it better, and its development environments are free (in comparison with the $1500 Visual Studio that I'm using for C#). But most of the lessons will be applicable in any language, especially the first ones (arithmetics, variables, conditions, loops, Strings, functions, arrays, classes). I think that at your current level you are above 95% of what I'm going to cover in the next weeks, so don't worry about your time. And you can do the exercises I'm giving in Javascript if you want, I won't be correcting only Java code. Smiley

Good to here Smiley Although do you think there is any maths that I should revise, just to be safe?

I'm guessing we'll be using either NetBeans or Eclipse for all this? I heard NetBeans was generally considered better, and I think google is using it officially now.
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 12:58:30 pm »

Good to here Smiley Although do you think there is any maths that I should revise, just to be safe?

I'm guessing we'll be using either NetBeans or Eclipse for all this? I heard NetBeans was generally considered better, and I think google is using it officially now.

Try combinatorics, that's pretty fun Smiley It's my favourite topic in maths (aside from trig) :p It'll come in handy too!
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 02:06:00 pm »

Try combinatorics, that's pretty fun Smiley It's my favourite topic in maths (aside from trig) :p It'll come in handy too!

Thanks, off to KhanAcademy I shall go!
Report Spam   Logged
Aperl
Eccentric Elgyem

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 02:07:32 pm »

You're talking to me as if I really was a teacher lol. There's nothing to study really, not even programming. The best way to learn is to practice, and I'm focusing on programming and logic. I am no mathematician myself, I just happen to like using maths in programming because it's an easy way to determine if one has the right logic to solve the problem.
If anything is too advanced, I will note the skills required to solve the problem. For example, if I ask for the volume of a sphere, I will probably write the formula or link you to an article. I'm teaching programming, not maths. Though that would be cool as well.
I am using Eclipse, but you could program on Notepad if you wanted. I made a tutorial on how to configure Eclipse, and I'm now writing another one about using it efficiently.

I only know Graph Theory, and it's already awesome as hell! I want to make a game that uses graph theory. Like 20000 Light Years in Space.
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 02:16:21 pm »

You're talking to me as if I really was a teacher lol. There's nothing to study really, not even programming. The best way to learn is to practice, and I'm focusing on programming and logic. I am no mathematician myself, I just happen to like using maths in programming because it's an easy way to determine if one has the right logic to solve the problem.
If anything is too advanced, I will note the skills required to solve the problem. For example, if I ask for the volume of a sphere, I will probably write the formula or link you to an article. I'm teaching programming, not maths. Though that would be cool as well.
I am using Eclipse, but you could program on Notepad if you wanted. I made a tutorial on how to configure Eclipse, and I'm now writing another one about using it efficiently.
I only know Graph Theory, and it's already awesome as hell! I want to make a game that uses graph theory. Like 20000 Light Years in Space.

Sounds good then, thanks Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 03:44:20 pm »

Thanks, off to KhanAcademy I shall go!
Here's a really good YT channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/patrickJMT?feature=watch
I got my head around a lot of things thanks to this guy.

Says the guy with the Padawan University form and has the headteacher rank Tongue You're no doubt making yourself out to be a teacher hehe Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

REECHEE
Roses are red, Violets are blue. Omae wa mo, shindeiru~
Devious Dusclops

Level: 37

Ore no namae wa REECHEE-chan desu, douzo yoroshiku

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 09:56:13 pm »

Joined. :3
I wanna learn, sensei.
Report Spam   Logged

"Two Wrongs Don't Make a Right, but Three Lefts Do".
Don't take too much heed into my words...
          ?
$      _$$_       $
T-+-(O++O)-+-T
*Chandelure is watching you...
"This hand of mine sparkles with a fabulous power; its shining grip tells me to dazzle you! FABULOUS FINGER!"
Richie was born a female, he posts about his transition into manhood and the struggles he goes through. He's a real inspiration Q_Q
Thanks, I needed an Implied "Kick in the Pants".
Arcade Sona Miku
Smile! I love you!
Malevolent Murkrow

Level: 69

Starrk is a mustard butt.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 07:27:35 am »

heres how to program

<makeawesomegame>
"title:gears_of_halo:_the_fellowship_of_the_rare_candy"
</makeawesomegame>