Pokémon X and Y Fan Community
March 28, 2024, 02:52:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery SHOUTBOX Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

What can I bring?

Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: What can I bring?  (Read 618 times)
Aperl
Eccentric Elgyem

Level: 20

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: April 19, 2013, 12:08:22 am »

Hey everyone,

Seeing how everything is evolving in here, I want to participate as well, in my own way.

I have things to propose, I want to know who would be interested in seeing that happen, or who would benefit from them.

1. Programming
Having 4 years of experience in Java, C# coding, plus 10 years of experience with GameMaker, I really think I can help people learn programming, or use that skill for the community.

1.1. Lessons
If enough people are truly interested, I can come up with weekly tutorials and exercises/challenges, and explain basic programming.

1.2. Projects
I can help by starting a project, it can be a website, a software, a game. For example, I'm thinking of things related to Pokemon, e.g. IV Calculator, Pokemon generator, small indie game, etc. Something on which we can work as a group, with graphists, coders, writers.

2. Tutoring, Helping
I can offer my help to people studying Physics, Mathematics, Programming, French, English, Philosophy. I can also help people with writing documents such as CV, cover letter, recommendation letter, etc.

3. Writing
I can write reviews (books, games), write stories (fanfiction), write articles about stuff, etc.
Just keep in mind that I'm like 3 years late in any Pokemon-related infos :/

4. Threads
I have some thread ideas, but I don't know if people are interested in participating in them.

4.1. Riddles
Under Social. Waldo407's thread was so popular back in the day, and most of the latest riddles were sent by myself.

4.2. Maths/Sciences
Under Social. I think it was iPhobex, or Aladdin, who made that thread on PPN. Math questions to solve. Let's say, logical riddles. Geometry, trigonometry, vectors, calculus, linear algebra, discrete maths, proofs, ... Perhaps Physics or Chemistry, in the end it's all about applying formulas.

4.3. Flash Game Showcase
Under Gaming General. A thread where we can post our favourite Flash games. I would update the first post to list them all, categorized with a short description.

5. Other
Other ideas, not necessarily tied to the forum.

5.1. Managing the Twitter account
We have the account, now we only need to post. I've studied Social Media, written essays about their use and effectiveness. I think I have what it takes to bring personnality to that account. Especially now, we have things to say about the new interface. New information is coming out gradually about Gen VI. We need to use hashtags wisely in order to attract attention.

5.2. Tumblr/Blogger/WordPress
I was thinking about it, what is extremely popular these days are Reddit, Imgur and 9Gag. Images, memes, funny things. If we could come up with our own Pokemon memes, our own Pokemon comics, something like that, then we could showcase them in a blog and then share the images on these sites, with the link written in the picture.
The blog itself will be linked to Evionet and the Twitter account, so people who are interested can join without problem. Also to link this with 1.2., we can showcase whatever project we're making. I'm personally used to Tumblr, but I'm open to suggestions. I suck at graphics though, but I can still manage the blog.

5.3. Additional HTML pages in Evionet
I'm still trying to think about what we could add. I do recall that the guide we were making back on PPN kept us working (I think it was Jcb, Aryeh mostly, with me working to format tables with Java code. Good old days ^^) for a while, and it made PPN very accurate and interesting, even if it was a reposting of information that could be found elsewhere. Since I know about HTML+CSS+JavaScript+PHP, I can help with that as well. It's just the information that I'm basically lacking.

I think that's it for now.
So yeah, I would appreciate your input on all that. I won't commit to anything if people are not honestly interested. I don't want threads to die or my efforts to be vain.

- Rosim
Report Spam   Logged

WHy do i have a feeling your going to be the serious wise man of the forum Tongue
D:< I hate you! That made WAY to much sense.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

Level: 44

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 01:25:02 am »

I'm definitely in with the first one, I'm still struggling to learn :/

Everything else I'm sure would be useful to the forum itself, we'll see if JCB can find a way to let you help.
Report Spam   Logged
Coyote Starrk
The Ultimate in Prescribed Drugs
Wrathful Whirlipede

Level: 8

Primera Espada

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 01:24:52 pm »

I think maybe having Aperl do social media would be a good idea cuz he always knows what to say, and he knows how to make a 4 word statement into a short novel >:U
Report Spam   Logged

Aperl
Eccentric Elgyem

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 01:31:51 pm »

I'm definitely in with the first one, I'm still struggling to learn :/

Everything else I'm sure would be useful to the forum itself, we'll see if JCB can find a way to let you help.
I am thinking of a way to implement this lesson system. It's not always easy on a forum. Especially for people to know where all the lessons are without having cluttered first posts, or having other people posts inbetween the lessons.

I think maybe having Aperl do social media would be a good idea cuz he always knows what to say, and he knows how to make a 4 word statement into a short novel >:U
True dat
My intellect tells me that your statement is most likely accurate.
I need to keep things under 140 characters though o.O scary as hell. I don't know if me introducing my name can even fit under 140 characters xD.
Report Spam   Logged

WHy do i have a feeling your going to be the serious wise man of the forum Tongue
REECHEE
Roses are red, Violets are blue. Omae wa mo, shindeiru~
Devious Dusclops

Level: 37

Ore no namae wa REECHEE-chan desu, douzo yoroshiku

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 01:48:58 pm »

I love everything under (1), I'm aspiring to learn more about programming as well as the creation of games. :O
Report Spam   Logged

"Two Wrongs Don't Make a Right, but Three Lefts Do".
Don't take too much heed into my words...
          ?
$      _$$_       $
T-+-(O++O)-+-T
*Chandelure is watching you...
"This hand of mine sparkles with a fabulous power; its shining grip tells me to dazzle you! FABULOUS FINGER!"
Richie was born a female, he posts about his transition into manhood and the struggles he goes through. He's a real inspiration Q_Q
Thanks, I needed an Implied "Kick in the Pants".
Atomica
The humor is so sharp, so witty, so subtle, in fact, that you'd almost swear there wasn't any at all.
Global Moderator
Devious Dusclops

Level: 38

Pokémon Friend Code:: Black: 1635 3527 0646

Boba Fett sucks

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 01:56:05 pm »

1. Programming
Having 4 years of experience in Java, C# coding, plus 10 years of experience with GameMaker, I really think I can help people learn programming, or use that skill for the community.
1.1. Lessons
If enough people are truly interested, I can come up with weekly tutorials and exercises/challenges, and explain basic programming.
Might be difficult to put in forum form, but every little helps Smiley

1.2. Projects
I can help by starting a project, it can be a website, a software, a game. For example, I'm thinking of things related to Pokemon, e.g. IV Calculator, Pokemon generator, small indie game, etc. Something on which we can work as a group, with graphists, coders, writers.
I'd love to see some of that.  Some things like an IV calc can be complex, maybe a simple good one that evionet people can reference will draw in members and such.  We'd need to have people interested though.

2. Tutoring, Helping
I can offer my help to people studying Physics, Mathematics, Programming, French, English, Philosophy. I can also help people with writing documents such as CV, cover letter, recommendation letter, etc.
Might be cool Tongue

3. Writing
I can write reviews (books, games), write stories (fanfiction), write articles about stuff, etc.
Just keep in mind that I'm like 3 years late in any Pokemon-related infos :/
We can help with providing pokemon details, but yeah some stuff like reviews would be good for the site and as for stories, I have a little rp board that could use some goodies Tongue
4. Threads
I have some thread ideas, but I don't know if people are interested in participating in them.
Cool, whatchu got?  Post 'em!

5.1. Managing the Twitter account
We have the account, now we only need to post. I've studied Social Media, written essays about their use and effectiveness. I think I have what it takes to bring personnality to that account. Especially now, we have things to say about the new interface. New information is coming out gradually about Gen VI. We need to use hashtags wisely in order to attract attention.

5.2. Tumblr/Blogger/WordPress
I was thinking about it, what is extremely popular these days are Reddit, Imgur and 9Gag. Images, memes, funny things. If we could come up with our own Pokemon memes, our own Pokemon comics, something like that, then we could showcase them in a blog and then share the images on these sites, with the link written in the picture.
The blog itself will be linked to Evionet and the Twitter account, so people who are interested can join without problem. Also to link this with 1.2., we can showcase whatever project we're making. I'm personally used to Tumblr, but I'm open to suggestions. I suck at graphics though, but I can still manage the blog.
Yes this would all be a good idea.  We have the twitter but we've barely done anything.  Having someone willing to continue and expand our "social media" with all that would be awesome, glad to see you are there Cheesy

5.3. Additional HTML pages in Evionet
I'm still trying to think about what we could add. I do recall that the guide we were making back on PPN kept us working (I think it was Jcb, Aryeh mostly, with me working to format tables with Java code. Good old days ^^) for a while, and it made PPN very accurate and interesting, even if it was a reposting of information that could be found elsewhere. Since I know about HTML+CSS+JavaScript+PHP, I can help with that as well. It's just the information that I'm basically lacking.
I don't know java code or any code for that matter (bbcode doesnt really count haha).  But yeah talk to Jcb and see what else we can do for the site expanding.  A good site should hopefully get more people for the good forum.

Report Spam   Logged

Pull List: Smallville Season #11, The Phantom Stranger, Arrow, Avengers, Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time, Trinity of Sin Pandora, New Avengers, Justice League, Justice League Dark, Justice League of America
Events: Infinity, Forever Evil
klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 02:50:12 pm »

I am thinking of a way to implement this lesson system. It's not always easy on a forum. Especially for people to know where all the lessons are without having cluttered first posts, or having other people posts inbetween the lessons.
True dat
My intellect tells me that your statement is most likely accurate.
I need to keep things under 140 characters though o.O scary as hell. I don't know if me introducing my name can even fit under 140 characters xD.

What language would you teach? I'm guessing something more basic like python?
Report Spam   Logged
Aperl
Eccentric Elgyem

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 11:05:00 pm »

Thanks Aryeh for the feedback, the trouble I'm having with stories and reviews is that 1. I have no inspiration at the moment and 2. I don't have anything to review, for I don't play games, watch movies or read books... I can review my courses xD
Plus the social media part is something that can be tackled pretty easily. Especially as soon as we'll have more juicy news or speculations about Gen VI.

I love everything under (1), I'm aspiring to learn more about programming as well as the creation of games. :O
I think I would introduce Java, it's probably the easiest language to start with, and it's the one I know the most.
As for the format, I'm thinking that I can actually make a blog with the lessons and exercises, and have all the feedback, corrections and whatnot in a single thread under Social. What do you think?
Report Spam   Logged

Magoo
Princess
Gargantuan Gabite

Level: 34

Wayward Son

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 12:56:47 pm »

I bet he could teach French. >:O
Report Spam   Logged

In the distance, that day, when the star became music.
klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 01:01:13 pm »

I think I would introduce Java, it's probably the easiest language to start with, and it's the one I know the most.
As for the format, I'm thinking that I can actually make a blog with the lessons and exercises, and have all the feedback, corrections and whatnot in a single thread under Social. What do you think?

Yeah, sounds good. I'm sure a lot of people here would be interested. Especially if you went into the game dev side of things eventually Tongue

Please, do one thing though. Don't make it dull. Crack a few jokes, put references and stuff in the code, doesn't matter. Be as subtle with it as you like, but if there's anything I've learnt is that it's damn near impossible to learn when you're bored.
Report Spam   Logged
Coyote Starrk
Wrathful Whirlipede

Primera Espada

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 01:02:36 pm »

I bet he could teach French. >:O
Duolingo has french though. :c
Report Spam   Logged

Magoo
Princess
Gargantuan Gabite

Wayward Son

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 02:25:35 pm »

Duolingo has french though. :c

This topic has now ventured farther than I can grasp.
Report Spam   Logged

Coyote Starrk
Wrathful Whirlipede

Primera Espada

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 02:37:32 pm »

This topic has now ventured farther than I can grasp.
I made a topic a few days ago about this cool online language learner thing called DuoLingo which teahces many languages, like English, French, Spanish, Portugese, Italian, and German, with more on the way. It's free and it's bretty gud, not perfect yet because there's so many ways to translate something that they may miss some stuff here or there. You should check it out and learn German >:3
Report Spam   Logged

Magoo
Princess
Gargantuan Gabite

Wayward Son

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 02:39:50 pm »

I made a topic a few days ago about this cool online language learner thing called DuoLingo which teahces many languages, like English, French, Spanish, Portugese, Italian, and German, with more on the way. It's free and it's bretty gud, not perfect yet because there's so many ways to translate something that they may miss some stuff here or there. You should check it out and learn German >:3

Oh I remember, yes you did.
And yes I should.
No motivation though. XP
Report Spam   Logged

Coyote Starrk
Wrathful Whirlipede

Primera Espada

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 02:55:26 pm »

Oh I remember, yes you did.
And yes I should.
No motivation though. XP
Just give it a try D: