Pokémon X and Y Fan Community
April 20, 2024, 04:05:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery SHOUTBOX Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

DuoLingo: Learn a new language FREE

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: DuoLingo: Learn a new language FREE  (Read 1150 times)
Aperl
Eccentric Elgyem

Level: 20

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 11:18:11 pm »

But you'll be mugged, sexed, and killed! D:

How much moniez are we talking here?

Say each letter/number out loud bruh

>Duolingo wants me to pick The Book from multiple answer
>It's Die Buch
>Wants me to translate The Book
>Type Die Buch
>Wrong answer
>Correct is Das Buch
>mfw

How does it go from Feminine to neutral like that?!
That's a risk that has to be taken.
They are a tip over the 7 digits. So it's not incredible, but still.
Anyways if I manage to get back in touch with my "girlfriend" in France I may not even need to find a house. She has two already lol. (Well her family)
France adopted me, and I adopted France. It's a great place for people who speak French. I have noticed that Frenchies are way more impolite and rude when outside of their country. It's a shame. They can be so nice.
Unless I simply bumped into the right people all along, and aside from that minority French people are all a*holes? o.O
Report Spam   Logged

WHy do i have a feeling your going to be the serious wise man of the forum Tongue
D:< I hate you! That made WAY to much sense.
Steel
Shellfish Pokémon
Gallant Gligar

Level: 43

カメックス

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 11:28:31 pm »

That looks like a very nice website, I think I will use it to improve my Spanish and perhaps learn Italian (though the Italian girl I had a crush on rejected me 15 months ago lol).

German should be a nice addition to your knowledge, and with English you already have the basic grammar that is needed to understand the sentence constructions.
What I recommend to everyone is to know at least one Germanic language (German/English) and one Latin language (Portuguese/Italian/Spanish/French) because those two groups are the foundations of every words and expressions we use. And then all the other languages (well only Germanic and Latin) can be learned easily.
And that's what I say even though after three years of Spanish I have trouble saying one sentence without sounding like an idiot...
what about Arabic languages D:

Urdu, Arabic, Hindi, Punjabi

its best because if you know one the rest are easy, they share alot of similar words.

also im going to use this for italian :V
Report Spam   Logged

Coyote Starrk
The Ultimate in Prescribed Drugs
Wrathful Whirlipede

Level: 8

Primera Espada

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 11:32:20 pm »

That's a risk that has to be taken.
They are a tip over the 7 digits. So it's not incredible, but still.
Anyways if I manage to get back in touch with my "girlfriend" in France I may not even need to find a house. She has two already lol. (Well her family)
France adopted me, and I adopted France. It's a great place for people who speak French. I have noticed that Frenchies are way more impolite and rude when outside of their country. It's a shame. They can be so nice.
Unless I simply bumped into the right people all along, and aside from that minority French people are all a*holes? o.O
7...Thats millions! D:
What do they do to acquire so much money?
Whats with you and knowing rich people?

Well they didn't get the French ahole stereotype for nothing...

its best because if you know one the rest are easy, they share alot of similar words.

They are arabic.

Why Italian?
Report Spam   Logged

Aperl
Eccentric Elgyem

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 12:11:47 am »

7...Thats millions! D:
What do they do to acquire so much money?
Whats with you and knowing rich people?

Well they didn't get the French ahole stereotype for nothing...

They are arabic.

Why Italian?
They were at the right place at the right time. My grandfather was a successful businessman. And the other one (who died two weeks ago an to whose funeral I'm going in less than 8 hours) was a good businessman and did have a nice fortune as well (but certainly not over a million).
They got that stereotype because they're mean towards people who don't speak French (so the majority of people and tourists). Here in Quebec, all the stereotypes we have about them is that they are arrogant and think they are the center of the world. But not that they are mean or impolite. And our stereotypes are teases. We love to hate each others, it's just a fun that we have, and it's healthy. Any Frenchman can come to Quebec and be greeted as a friend, and same goes to Quebecois who go to France.
So actually it's Quebecois who are biased lol.

Arabic languages will most likely help us with many roots and everything, plus our numbering system is arabic (well at least the symbols we use for numbers).
But I plan on staying in North America and Eastern Europe most of my life, perhaps also Western Asia if I get lucky, so Arabic won't be my most profitable skill.
My father's family is in fact from Tunisia, so I may still go there.
Report Spam   Logged

WHy do i have a feeling your going to be the serious wise man of the forum Tongue
Coyote Starrk
Wrathful Whirlipede

Primera Espada

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 12:16:00 am »

They were at the right place at the right time. My grandfather was a successful businessman. And the other one (who died two weeks ago an to whose funeral I'm going in less than 8 hours) was a good businessman and did have a nice fortune as well (but certainly not over a million).
They got that stereotype because they're mean towards people who don't speak French (so the majority of people and tourists). Here in Quebec, all the stereotypes we have about them is that they are arrogant and think they are the center of the world. But not that they are mean or impolite. And our stereotypes are teases. We love to hate each others, it's just a fun that we have, and it's healthy. Any Frenchman can come to Quebec and be greeted as a friend, and same goes to Quebecois who go to France.
So actually it's Quebecois who are biased lol.
Arabic languages will most likely help us with many roots and everything, plus our numbering system is arabic (well at least the symbols we use for numbers).
But I plan on staying in North America and Eastern Europe most of my life, perhaps also Western Asia if I get lucky, so Arabic won't be my most profitable skill.
My father's family is in fact from Tunisia, so I may still go there.
So do they sell women or what?

I'm sorry about your loss.

Typical French. Being mean to everyone that isn't French or Canadian. :U
Report Spam   Logged

Aperl
Eccentric Elgyem

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 12:31:11 am »

So do they sell women or what?

I'm sorry about your loss.

Typical French. Being mean to everyone that isn't French or Canadian. :U
I would have hoped so lol, I would appreciate to have a girlfriend Tongue. (Funny how I say I need a girlfriend in half my posts, and talk about my girlfriend in the other half)
It's okay, he was suffering too much anyways.

It really depends though. I've been working in France in a lab where all the directors were English or American. And all the staff did their presentations in English, and I heard no complaining, and everyone was super nice with the others, no matter where they came from.
The spoken English of French people is priceless. When people where I am now ask me if I'm French, I thank them (because I hate the Quebecois accent), but I tell them "Listen to me talking in English, and you'll know for sure that I am not French".
I can't wait to be back in France... so many skinny girls. And Italia is even more stunning o_o.
Report Spam   Logged

Coyote Starrk
Wrathful Whirlipede

Primera Espada

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2013, 12:52:42 am »

I would have hoped so lol, I would appreciate to have a girlfriend Tongue. (Funny how I say I need a girlfriend in half my posts, and talk about my girlfriend in the other half)
It's okay, he was suffering too much anyways.

It really depends though. I've been working in France in a lab where all the directors were English or American. And all the staff did their presentations in English, and I heard no complaining, and everyone was super nice with the others, no matter where they came from.
The spoken English of French people is priceless. When people where I am now ask me if I'm French, I thank them (because I hate the Quebecois accent), but I tell them "Listen to me talking in English, and you'll know for sure that I am not French".
I can't wait to be back in France... so many skinny girls. And Italia is even more stunning o_o.
Do they sell drugs or something? Were they the assholes that started the pyramid schemes?

y u no get a bf?!

I think you're just getting lucky. French folk are cruel, but the nice ones leave France and go somewhere less arrogant and snooty.

Whats the quebecois accent like compared to frenchy?

Headsup, french wimmenz don't shave their pits and italian women are gold diggers or super catholic and that tends to get in the way of a lot of things and cause problems unless you too are catholic and or italian.
Report Spam   Logged

Aperl
Eccentric Elgyem

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2013, 01:44:34 am »

Do they sell drugs or something? Were they the assholes that started the pyramid schemes?

y u no get a bf?!

I think you're just getting lucky. French folk are cruel, but the nice ones leave France and go somewhere less arrogant and snooty.

Whats the quebecois accent like compared to frenchy?

Headsup, french wimmenz don't shave their pits and italian women are gold diggers or super catholic and that tends to get in the way of a lot of things and cause problems unless you too are catholic and or italian.
Tongue Nah, my mother's father (the deceased one) was a programmer/mechanic/electrician/genius who started his own company and developed some of the first x-ray machines. My father's mother's new husband worked in a tool industry exactly when the demand was high. Him and my grandma live in a 4-story mansion with like 5 bathrooms, two fireplaces, that kind of stuff. Valued to like 2 million $.

I don't get a bf because they're not my type of girl Tongue.

Nice French people stay in France. The mean ones keep complaining about everything and end up leaving their own country because they think everything is better away, without noticing that they are the reason why France looks bad internationally Tongue.

Quebec French is what France French used to be during colonization. In terms of vocabulary and tone. We speak like freaking retarded farmers. Well I don't, because I'm special. ^^
The accent is one of the main reasons why I want to leave my province. It gets on my nerves so bad. And a lot of people don't even make an effort to speak correctly.

I don't think I had to be told all that lol. But about Italian girls, on my first day in Roma I got invited in a bar by a girl in my hostel. We danced just a little but it was too awkward for me. Had I accepted the third alcohol drink she wanted to offer me, we would have spent the night in the same room I guess. One shooter of tequila (with lemon and salt), then a full glass of white wine. I was already feeling dizzy. That girl was stunning. Now that I look back at it... She seemed very... interested by me.
Report Spam   Logged

Steel
Shellfish Pokémon
Gallant Gligar

Level: 43

カメックス

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2013, 09:07:43 am »

They are arabic.

Why Italian?
everything they say sounds awesome
also its quite an awesome language
Report Spam   Logged

Murican Jakler
Member 49: That Weird Guy in The Corner
Eccentric Elgyem

Level: 22

Muricah.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2013, 09:54:17 am »

Duolingo has German, and it's not too hard, but learning whether to use Feminine, Masculine, or neutral is a pain, especially cuz sometimes an inanimate object doesnt use neutral, which is bawlz.

Uh Don't use Rosetta Stone for japanese though. It teaches you words that aren't in use anymore and aint that great, unless you want listening/reading comprehension. Japanesepod101, Genkii, and if you want to just understand but not read/write, pimsluer. There's also daily Japanese threads on /a/ with a buttload of guides and stuff to use as well.

Alrighty, thanks Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Coyote Starrk
Wrathful Whirlipede

Primera Espada

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2013, 12:53:58 pm »

Tongue Nah, my mother's father (the deceased one) was a programmer/mechanic/electrician/genius who started his own company and developed some of the first x-ray machines. My father's mother's new husband worked in a tool industry exactly when the demand was high. Him and my grandma live in a 4-story mansion with like 5 bathrooms, two fireplaces, that kind of stuff. Valued to like 2 million $.

I don't get a bf because they're not my type of girl Tongue.

Nice French people stay in France. The mean ones keep complaining about everything and end up leaving their own country because they think everything is better away, without noticing that they are the reason why France looks bad internationally Tongue.

Quebec French is what France French used to be during colonization. In terms of vocabulary and tone. We speak like freaking retarded farmers. Well I don't, because I'm special. ^^
The accent is one of the main reasons why I want to leave my province. It gets on my nerves so bad. And a lot of people don't even make an effort to speak correctly.

I don't think I had to be told all that lol. But about Italian girls, on my first day in Roma I got invited in a bar by a girl in my hostel. We danced just a little but it was too awkward for me. Had I accepted the third alcohol drink she wanted to offer me, we would have spent the night in the same room I guess. One shooter of tequila (with lemon and salt), then a full glass of white wine. I was already feeling dizzy. That girl was stunning. Now that I look back at it... She seemed very... interested by me.
Did he invent Craftsmen tools? o.o

They could be, just pretend~

Only nice french people arent born in france and moved their to be closer to their wine and bread supply. :v

So quebecois french is like austrian german? ?_?

She wanted the D.

everything they say sounds awesome
also its quite an awesome language

But they talk with their hands! (which I am guilty of ****)

Alrighty, thanks Cheesy
No problem bruh
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

Level: 44

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2013, 01:31:16 pm »

I really want to learn Japanese. According to reddit, DuoLingo has been planning a Japanese course, but it's been like a year or something since that was said.

Also, does Duolingo have any focus on the reading/writing, or is it just speech?
Report Spam   Logged
Coyote Starrk
Wrathful Whirlipede

Primera Espada

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2013, 01:38:42 pm »

I really want to learn Japanese. According to reddit, DuoLingo has been planning a Japanese course, but it's been like a year or something since that was said.

Also, does Duolingo have any focus on the reading/writing, or is it just speech?
They launched in november of 2011, so they're still new and not going to have every language at start, especially asian ones which are frigging huge and have multiple alphabets.

I think they have reading and writing, but they start of speech, and once you learn to speak, you can translate websites like wikipedia into whatever language you're learning for free, and the websites pay a small fee to have their site translated.
Report Spam   Logged

Aperl
Eccentric Elgyem

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2013, 10:05:28 pm »

They launched in november of 2011, so they're still new and not going to have every language at start, especially asian ones which are frigging huge and have multiple alphabets.

I think they have reading and writing, but they start of speech, and once you learn to speak, you can translate websites like wikipedia into whatever language you're learning for free, and the websites pay a small fee to have their site translated.
My cousin told me that Duolingo is owned by the same company that owns Re-Captcha. So Internet is translated from language to language, and from written to numeric by us fellows. But Duolingo makes it profitable for us too Smiley.

Let's keep this thread active so that more people join the club.
Report Spam   Logged

Coyote Starrk
Wrathful Whirlipede

Primera Espada

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2013, 10:10:28 pm »

My cousin told me that Duolingo is owned by the same company that owns Re-Captcha. So Internet is translated from language to language, and from written to numeric by us fellows. But Duolingo makes it profitable for us too Smiley.

Let's keep this thread active so that more people join the club.
It was started by the same guy that started captcha, but isnt owned by google (who owns captcha)

It also isn't profitable according to the CEOs reddit AMA, but he has a small work force and the crowdsourcing of translating is helping.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: