Pokémon X and Y Fan Community
April 18, 2024, 11:17:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery SHOUTBOX Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Thinking about starting a Youtube Channel

Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking about starting a Youtube Channel  (Read 187 times)
AMP
Creative Absol
Wacky Wooper

Level: 4

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: February 26, 2013, 02:08:54 pm »

I'm thinking about starting a Youtube channel and I could use some Ideas, Tips, Suggestions, ect...
The focus would be Gaming, Primarily on the Wii U and, If I get enough money, the PC. I'm looking into getting a Job for a few months (Since it's a seasonal job) so I can pay for the equipment I'd be using.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas, tips, suggestions, ect... And  could use some input on what kind of setup I should use?

I would like to do something similar to [Cobanermani456] and do LP videos and review the games after I play them.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

DAF
Sassy Snivy

Level: 14

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 03:06:21 pm »

This is something that most LPers don't do:
-Review the game after playing.
-Doing blind Let's Plays (Most do this honestly).

Recommendations:
-Try and mix the games based on what others play.
-Don't try and joke too much (We have guys like PewDiePie for that).
-Try to make yourself not so kid friendly, but do curse too often.
-Take notes from Chuggaconroy on explaining the contents in the game, but not so often that it feels like a lecture other then a game.
-Make sure if you do a blind LP, that you still have some knowledge on the game and know you'll likely be submerged in the game.
-If you wanna play a commonly Let's Played game, be sure to know what others who LPed the game did so you don't repeat it and look like a follower.

That's just about the big things I've learned and noticed LPers do and didn't do.
Report Spam   Logged
Steel
Shellfish Pokémon
Gallant Gligar

Level: 43

カメックス

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 03:14:16 pm »

I did LPs.

For starting, do a game you know well so you have a lot of prior knowledge and can't make the video interesting. Big tip.

Games centric on cutscenes and dialogue are the worst things to pick (Telltale's Walking Dead or Mass Effect series), while games with little dialouge or text, or multiplayer centric make better Let's Plays. (Minecraft, Pokemon, Zelda, COD, Team Fortress 2).

Try to keep the gameplay interesting and exciting, edit out boring parts.

I.e. If I'm playing minecraft and gotta mine 20 stones, I cut out that part. I only show me saying "let's go get some stone" fad to black, fade back in, with the stone and done.

Review your work multiple times.
ADVERTISE, it's especially hard to get the cycle going when it comes to Let's Plays, so share and advertise as much as you can.

Play games with a Large Community so you can maybe begin to play with LPers from that community, doubling your views.

Play games that are popular if you want views. Possibly do that first. Plan for the next release of a big game for example.

My minecraft videos had probably 10-20 views within a month.
My Skyrim ones, which where a month after skyrims release, got over 1000 views.
Report Spam   Logged

AMP
Creative Absol
Wacky Wooper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 05:03:56 pm »

This is something that most LPers don't do:
-Review the game after playing.
-Doing blind Let's Plays (Most do this honestly).

Recommendations:
-Try and mix the games based on what others play.
-Don't try and joke too much (We have guys like PewDiePie for that).
-Try to make yourself not so kid friendly, but do curse too often.
-Take notes from Chuggaconroy on explaining the contents in the game, but not so often that it feels like a lecture other then a game.
-Make sure if you do a blind LP, that you still have some knowledge on the game and know you'll likely be submerged in the game.
-If you wanna play a commonly Let's Played game, be sure to know what others who LPed the game did so you don't repeat it and look like a follower.

That's just about the big things I've learned and noticed LPers do and didn't do.
-Why not do a review?
-And I'd like to do blind play through because then I could get videos out quicker. I plan on creating a separate account on my Wii U and play each game for the Channel there while my first account is for gaming on my own time. So it won't be completely blind.

-What do you mean by mixing games?
-I'm already a quiet person so I probably wouldn't go overboard with the jokes
-I'm not allowed to cuss, so that could be a problem.. :/ Oh well... Cobanermani doesn't cuss too much and it works for him.
-Any explaining would probably be a recap of things since most of it would be blind anyways. But I'll check him out.
-The first play through I'd do would either be Amazing Spiderman or Pikmin 3 Depending on when I get the equipment to start.
-I'll try

I did LPs.

For starting, do a game you know well so you have a lot of prior knowledge and can't make the video interesting. Big tip.

Games centric on cutscenes and dialogue are the worst things to pick (Telltale's Walking Dead or Mass Effect series), while games with little dialouge or text, or multiplayer centric make better Let's Plays. (Minecraft, Pokemon, Zelda, COD, Team Fortress 2).

Try to keep the gameplay interesting and exciting, edit out boring parts.

I.e. If I'm playing minecraft and gotta mine 20 stones, I cut out that part. I only show me saying "let's go get some stone" fad to black, fade back in, with the stone and done.

Review your work multiple times.
ADVERTISE, it's especially hard to get the cycle going when it comes to Let's Plays, so share and advertise as much as you can.

Play games with a Large Community so you can maybe begin to play with LPers from that community, doubling your views.

Play games that are popular if you want views. Possibly do that first. Plan for the next release of a big game for example.

My minecraft videos had probably 10-20 views within a month.
My Skyrim ones, which where a month after skyrims release, got over 1000 views.
I was just planing on doing new games released unless it's something I really wanna play.Because I don't talk as much when I'm playing a game I've played many times before. (I may get used to it, idk)
I plan on doing a lot of editing when necessary,
Report Spam   Logged

Vlatko
Pikachu Boy
Malevolent Murkrow

Level: 26

Pikachu boy!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 05:13:29 pm »

Good luck on your adventures! Ive wanted to make my own youtube channel for quite some time now, never got around to it. Just make sure you are really dedicated and don't stop making because your lacking subscribers and what not.
edit: my recommendation would be to make small quick videos at the beginning, such as I would make a dota montage, post it on the dota communities as they get lots of views. Do it with a few games and you'll get subscribers that way, then you can make some more montages or whatever down the road but you can start making LPs then with some subscribers and you'll already have a little bit of a fanbase.
Report Spam   Logged

AMP
Creative Absol
Wacky Wooper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 05:25:03 pm »

Good luck on your adventures! Ive wanted to make my own youtube channel for quite some time now, never got around to it. Just make sure you are really dedicated and don't stop making because your lacking subscribers and what not.
edit: my recommendation would be to make small quick videos at the beginning, such as I would make a dota montage, post it on the dota communities as they get lots of views. Do it with a few games and you'll get subscribers that way, then you can make some more montages or whatever down the road but you can start making LPs then with some subscribers and you'll already have a little bit of a fanbase.
I'll probably try to do as much as I can unless something happens in my life where I have to stop. I don't care for montouges that much.. :/

And does anyone know some kind of Gaming Community I would be able to Partner with so my videos won't get taken down by copyright? I heard of Machinama, Revision 3, and one other but I forgot the name...
Report Spam   Logged

Steel
Shellfish Pokémon
Gallant Gligar

Level: 43

カメックス

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 08:49:39 pm »

oh a big tip, Don't give up.
Report Spam   Logged

AMP
Creative Absol
Wacky Wooper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 12:12:42 am »

oh a big tip, Don't give up.
Yea, from the one guy I'm subscribed to (Cobanermani456) he started as soon as the 3DS came out, and it took 2 Years for it him to get up to 100,000 Subscribers... I'm prepared to wait.
Report Spam   Logged

Atomica
The humor is so sharp, so witty, so subtle, in fact, that you'd almost swear there wasn't any at all.
Global Moderator
Devious Dusclops

Level: 38

Pokémon Friend Code:: Black: 1635 3527 0646

Boba Fett sucks

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 09:54:39 am »

yeah you definitely need patience.  A lot of people expect that after one or two videos all those subs fill in and they end a popular youtuber.  You need like loads of videos to keep going regularly (with good quality and commentary of course) until people begin to show up.  It could take a long time so the key is to do it for yourself and the viewers who go back to those videos in the future and not be upset when your videos aren't being watched for a while.
Report Spam   Logged

Pull List: Smallville Season #11, The Phantom Stranger, Arrow, Avengers, Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time, Trinity of Sin Pandora, New Avengers, Justice League, Justice League Dark, Justice League of America
Events: Infinity, Forever Evil
AMP
Creative Absol
Wacky Wooper

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 11:13:26 pm »

Yea, I think I'm prepared for that... Just gotta save up for the stuff to start. Right now I'm working on a name since the one I had before isn't really a LP or even a gaming channel name... lol
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: