Pokémon X and Y Fan Community
March 28, 2024, 03:37:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery SHOUTBOX Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Programming Thread

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Programming Thread  (Read 3222 times)
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

Level: 5

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 06:44:26 pm »

Good point. I know that it takes a lot of effort, but I'm sure I'll get there. And I'd be learning Java right now as well if my computer could figure out how to open it without crashing. Might still do it alongside C# though. Where are you learning it?

Oh, and your RPG engine, looks good from the screenshot Cheesy Will you be releasing the code for it?

--------

In other news, Minecraft: Pocket Edition has been officially ported to the Raspberry Pi by Mojang: http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2565
Best part: Built in Python modding/scripting. Meaning the modding community will only get stronger, and maybe we can even improve the android version!
lol nice, reminds me that I need to get a Raspberry Pi. I was waiting for the networking one to be released but then I just slowly forgot about it. :/ Now if only my Android could actually run Minecraft... Think I'll be buying a Nexus 4 soon anyway Smiley

I'm not actually learning Java from anywhere specific - more like jumping around from site to site as I google things. The Oracle Java tutorials are really nice for reference stuff, I had to look at them before when I did some coding with Swing. I didn't learn it all in one go though, I've been touching Java on-and-off in the past year or two. Not to mention that Java isn't my first language so I skipped most of the basics.

Although I did start off on something like this when I started out: http://zetcode.com/tutorials/javagamestutorial/
It runs along with Swing which is easy enough to start out with and you will find Swing continuously useful if you further expand on Java, you'll also find out that Java2d is horrible for games - especially cross-platform wise (The nightmares I had with that...).
My suggestion would to start out there anyway and once you're comfortable with Java, Swing, and Java2D, then move over to JOGL which is your saviour when it comes to game development in Java.

I won't be releasing the code for my engine, especially with the idea of going commercial with it. Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: