Pokémon X and Y Fan Community
March 28, 2024, 04:43:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery SHOUTBOX Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Programming Thread

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Programming Thread  (Read 3136 times)
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

Level: 5

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #90 on: December 26, 2012, 02:42:46 pm »

I think I get classes now, but I'm not entirely sure. I definitely see how useful they can be though.
When I only did PHP I never saw the lure of classes but Java can easily change your mind on that Smiley They just make life so much easier.
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

Level: 44

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2012, 06:43:32 pm »

When I only did PHP I never saw the lure of classes but Java can easily change your mind on that Smiley They just make life so much easier.

Oh yeah, considering I'm interested in making websites, how useful would PHP be?
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2012, 04:45:10 pm »

Oh yeah, considering I'm interested in making websites, how useful would PHP be?
Depends. PHP would make life a hell of a lot easier but at the same time it can make it much harder .

An example of this would be to create a website using simple PHP to include pages here-and-there which means you only need to write things once. That's a life made easier.
However, should you decide to use a content management system (CMS) to make it easier for you to add content and manage it. Then you'll be in for a ride whilst you decide to either make your own (good for learning PHP but not recommended for actual use) or use an existing one like WordPress/Joomla/Drupal.

For the sake of starting out though, just keep it simple. Make your website in HTML (One .html file for each layout should be enough) first then switch over to PHP (hint: look into including other php files and separate your HTML into those files - reusability ftw, eg: header.php, footer.php)

Either way, PHP is extremely useful and I fully recommend it if you're going to create your own website.
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2012, 05:51:32 pm »

Depends. PHP would make life a hell of a lot easier but at the same time it can make it much harder .

An example of this would be to create a website using simple PHP to include pages here-and-there which means you only need to write things once. That's a life made easier.
However, should you decide to use a content management system (CMS) to make it easier for you to add content and manage it. Then you'll be in for a ride whilst you decide to either make your own (good for learning PHP but not recommended for actual use) or use an existing one like WordPress/Joomla/Drupal.

For the sake of starting out though, just keep it simple. Make your website in HTML (One .html file for each layout should be enough) first then switch over to PHP (hint: look into including other php files and separate your HTML into those files - reusability ftw, eg: header.php, footer.php)

Either way, PHP is extremely useful and I fully recommend it if you're going to create your own website.

Okay, thanks. At the moment, I'm just using standard HTML and CSS, I've been relearning them because we're making websites in school and I want to be the the top of the class when we start coding it Tongue

Also, I think I'm going to re-read Learn Python the Hard Way, or at least a large chunk of it. There are a lot of things I have forgotten or don't understand, so I guess it would be good.

Afterwards, I think I'll go with C# because:

Xbox Live Indie Games
PS Vita
XNA
Unity
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2012, 06:19:01 pm »

Okay, thanks. At the moment, I'm just using standard HTML and CSS, I've been relearning them because we're making websites in school and I want to be the the top of the class when we start coding it Tongue

Also, I think I'm going to re-read Learn Python the Hard Way, or at least a large chunk of it. There are a lot of things I have forgotten or don't understand, so I guess it would be good.

Afterwards, I think I'll go with C# because:

Xbox Live Indie Games
PS Vita
XNA
Unity

I don't own or like a single one of the above. xD C# would be useless for me considering I'd want it for game development.
Aiming for the top, eh? If you really want to show off... Integrate your website on top of Drupal. Tongue Hah, you'll do fine with knowledge of PHP and it wouldn't hurt to learn some JavaScript and maybe some AJAX.
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2012, 06:59:57 pm »

I don't own or like a single one of the above. xD C# would be useless for me considering I'd want it for game development.
Aiming for the top, eh? If you really want to show off... Integrate your website on top of Drupal. Tongue Hah, you'll do fine with knowledge of PHP and it wouldn't hurt to learn some JavaScript and maybe some AJAX.

But.... all those things I listed were related to game development...

Anyway, this drupal thing, how exactly does it work? Is it kind of like the downloadable version of Wordpress that you can put directly on a server and make a site from it?
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2012, 09:07:53 pm »

But.... all those things I listed were related to game development...

Anyway, this drupal thing, how exactly does it work? Is it kind of like the downloadable version of Wordpress that you can put directly on a server and make a site from it?
I said, "useless for me". What's the point in programming for something I don't even have or even consider getting? Tongue

Oh god, jumping in the deep end with Drupal? It's like Wordpress, yes, but in my opinion it's much better and easier to use (in terms of extending). I always found WP to be a bit of a bother. At the start Drupal has a rather big learning curve for its UI but once you get your head around it it's actually pretty darn amazing.

Download it, extract it to a server, install it. But a fresh Drupal installation is a nightmare, and in that case you at least want this mod: http://drupal.org/project/admin_menu
Should be the first thing you install on any fresh Drupal installation. Then if you're going to create your own theme then you want the Zen starter kit. Honestly there's a lot you need to pick up on if you intend to go with Drupal... Learn PHP first, at least a little.
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2012, 08:08:59 am »

I said, "useless for me". What's the point in programming for something I don't even have or even consider getting? Tongue

Oh god, jumping in the deep end with Drupal? It's like Wordpress, yes, but in my opinion it's much better and easier to use (in terms of extending). I always found WP to be a bit of a bother. At the start Drupal has a rather big learning curve for its UI but once you get your head around it it's actually pretty darn amazing.

Download it, extract it to a server, install it. But a fresh Drupal installation is a nightmare, and in that case you at least want this mod: http://drupal.org/project/admin_menu
Should be the first thing you install on any fresh Drupal installation. Then if you're going to create your own theme then you want the Zen starter kit. Honestly there's a lot you need to pick up on if you intend to go with Drupal... Learn PHP first, at least a little.

So... is it sort of a tool to assist in creating a website?
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2012, 10:35:56 am »

So... is it sort of a tool to assist in creating a website?
It's a framework/CMS. I wouldn't say it's a tool as it doesn't create a website for you, you just build on it.
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 29, 2012, 10:44:36 am »

It's a framework/CMS. I wouldn't say it's a tool as it doesn't create a website for you, you just build on it.

Okay... I'll figure it out later if I can really be bothered.

In the meantime, I have got to figure out these damn classes. I don't know why I still don't get them...
Report Spam   Logged
klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2013, 08:07:55 pm »

Right, totally relearning Python. Enough is enough, I need to get crap done. I'm coming up with a schedule to see if I can do it in under a week, it shouldn't be too hard seeing as I've done most of it before. I'm doing it in parts, based on what the exercises are hoping to teach.

Day 1: Exercises 1 - 10, Strings, variables, basic printing and mathematics.

Day 2: Exercises 11 - 17, Prompts, reading and writing files.

Day 3: Exercises 18 - 26, Functions, a bit more with files.

Day 4: Exercises 27 - 37, Loops, lists, if/else statements, memorizing logic, symbol revision

Day 5: Exercises 38 - 44, Dictionaries, modules, classes (shoot me), objects, inheritance, composition.

Day 6: Exercises 45 - 47, Make a game, set up automated testing

Day 7: Exercises 48 - 52, Make a website and a web game, also read afterword.

I think that's feasible. The first 3 - 4 days should be relatively simple. If I focus, I reckon I can get this done.

Also, it turns out Khan Academy's CS section is awesome so I'm moving my next project to being HTML5 including CSS and JavaScript.
Report Spam   Logged
klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2013, 05:52:17 am »

Guys, I have a thing related to Evionet I'm gonna need some help with.

We're basically making a home page for the site, which will link to the forum and maybe other places. I'm going to ATTEMPT to design something good (I've never done anything related to web design, so I don't know how it'll turn out), but I was hoping some of the more experienced web programmers could help out. Probably just need basic HTML and CSS, maybe a little bit of JavaScript.

If you're up for it, do post.
Report Spam   Logged
Aperl
Eccentric Elgyem

Level: 20

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2013, 06:18:41 am »

We're basically making a home page for the site, which will link to the forum and maybe other places. I'm going to ATTEMPT to design something good (I've never done anything related to web design, so I don't know how it'll turn out), but I was hoping some of the more experienced web programmers could help out. Probably just need basic HTML and CSS, maybe a little bit of JavaScript.

I've been doing some PHP, JavaScript, HTML and CSS pages, nothing huge though, but if I can help with anything it will be with pleasure.
Report Spam   Logged

WHy do i have a feeling your going to be the serious wise man of the forum Tongue
D:< I hate you! That made WAY to much sense.
klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2013, 06:27:16 am »

I've been doing some PHP, JavaScript, HTML and CSS pages, nothing huge though, but if I can help with anything it will be with pleasure.

Great. I've been reading up on SMF's features, apparently there are ways you can embed recent posts/threads/announcements into a page with PHP.
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2013, 05:43:04 pm »

Oooohh! I'll be up for it! I can do the whole lot, PHP, AJAX, JavaScript/JQuery. Plus it's what I do for a living. Tongue
I've also developed alongside SMF, so just let me know whenever you need help with anything.

If you're making a homepage, I suppose it has its own domain/host? I'm not sure if freesmfhosting will allow you to just add on a homepage and start tinkering around with the code. Honestly, freesmfhosting is bad. You won't be integrating any of the SMF functions into the homepage whilst you're on this host to say the least.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: