Pokémon X and Y Fan Community
March 29, 2024, 10:35:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery SHOUTBOX Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Programming Thread

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Programming Thread  (Read 3352 times)
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

Level: 5

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2012, 01:56:13 am »

I know. Still finishing python, like I said.
I'm one to talk though... Tonight I got a years subscription for two domain names (including hosting) for $29 each - Black Friday deal thing. Now I'm in the process of designing a website for one of them which will take me like a month to roll out fully since I'll be running it on top of Drupal.

I wished I could slow down time or duplicate myself because my workload is insane right now :/
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

Level: 44

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2012, 10:43:30 am »

I'm one to talk though... Tonight I got a years subscription for two domain names (including hosting) for $29 each - Black Friday deal thing. Now I'm in the process of designing a website for one of them which will take me like a month to roll out fully since I'll be running it on top of Drupal.

I wished I could slow down time or duplicate myself because my workload is insane right now :/

I bought a domain for $5... unless it was a high demand domain, you may have been ripped off...

What site did you get it from?
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2012, 12:16:08 pm »

I bought a domain for $5... unless it was a high demand domain, you may have been ripped off...

What site did you get it from?
Hosting and a domain for $29 a year... That is FAR from being ripped off. That's like 1.50gbp a month for me which beats any prices around here.

I'm with hosting24.com, used them in the past and I've never really had issues with them. They host the 000webhost service (free web hosting with PHP/MySQL support).
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2012, 12:20:39 pm »

Hosting and a domain for $29 a year... That is FAR from being ripped off. That's like 1.50gbp a month for me which beats any prices around here.

I'm with hosting24.com, used them in the past and I've never really had issues with them. They host the 000webhost service (free web hosting with PHP/MySQL support).

Oh right. I thought you'd bought the domain on it's own. What you've got there is a pretty sweet deal Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2012, 12:32:17 pm »

Oh right. I thought you'd bought the domain on it's own. What you've got there is a pretty sweet deal Cheesy
If you look around, most hosting services are offering a discount so if you're up for grabbing cheap hosting then now is the time Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2012, 03:46:45 pm »

Decided that, now that I'm nearly done with python, that I'm going to go back to learning AS3. I've been playing some of Terry Cavanagh's games (VVVVVV, Super Hexagon, Don't Look Back) and I'd love to make something like that. I know I could on basically any platform, but flash has such a huge userbase, and I'm not sure it'll actually go out for a few more years yet, and if it does, there's always HTML5.
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2012, 04:53:03 pm »

Decided that, now that I'm nearly done with python, that I'm going to go back to learning AS3. I've been playing some of Terry Cavanagh's games (VVVVVV, Super Hexagon, Don't Look Back) and I'd love to make something like that. I know I could on basically any platform, but flash has such a huge userbase, and I'm not sure it'll actually go out for a few more years yet, and if it does, there's always HTML5.
I had to do GUI programming in Python today and by God. I wanted to throw it out of the window (no puns intended)!
Why does it have to be so... different? -.-

Good luck with the AS3 stuff and I still recommend trying out FlashPunk once you get a bearing of things Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2012, 05:32:17 pm »

I had to do GUI programming in Python today and by God. I wanted to throw it out of the window (no puns intended)!
Why does it have to be so... different? -.-

Good luck with the AS3 stuff and I still recommend trying out FlashPunk once you get a bearing of things Smiley

I think python is amazing for small projects and basic games (like roguelikes) but for anything else, most languages beat it.

Aren't Ruby and luau quite similar? Would you say they're better or worse?

And I will be trying flashpunk. Thanks for the luck Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2012, 06:12:34 pm »

I think python is amazing for small projects and basic games (like roguelikes) but for anything else, most languages beat it.

Aren't Ruby and luau quite similar? Would you say they're better or worse?

And I will be trying flashpunk. Thanks for the luck Smiley
I've never tried Ruby or Lua, I'm happy with what I know at the moment anyway. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2012, 01:39:34 am »

I've never tried Ruby or Lua, I'm happy with what I know at the moment anyway. Smiley

Ok Cheesy

I played around with ruby once, it seems similar to python, but I had a look online and the classes look... odd...
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2012, 08:14:03 pm »

Ok Cheesy

I played around with ruby once, it seems similar to python, but I had a look online and the classes look... odd...
I just took a look at it and I really do like the looks of it although that's mainly because the website looks nice. xD

My work load is crazy at the moment, I haven't been able to work on my engine or website for the past 2 days Sad The last thing I did was make the beginnings of a textbox engine.
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2012, 09:57:58 am »

Great, every damn tutorial for AS3 is designed for Flash Pro. Moving on then...
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2012, 06:27:54 am »

Great, every damn tutorial for AS3 is designed for Flash Pro. Moving on then...
Haha, yeah. I could never get the hang of it really.

I have a theory test on Python this/next week, I have to revise over binary numbers again as I've totally forgotten how floating point numbers are represented in binary and I even got a two's compliment practice question wrong. :/ (Forgot to add one after switching the digits around...)
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2012, 10:08:08 am »

Well, after AS3 being too pro Flashy (IT'S A PUN), I think I'll try out some JavaScript and figure out all this HTML5 business, considering the amount of insanely cool stuff that has been made with it, and it's compatibility with basically everything (if nintendo supports it, most things will).

Also, I made a little python thing to save me a few button clicks on a calculator for my maths homework. It literally just performs pi*r-squared on the radius of a circle.

Code:
from math import pi
radius = float(raw_input("RADIUS: "))
answer = pi * radius * radius
print "\n",answer,"\n"
for i in range(1, 6):
x = round(answer, i)
print x, "(%sDP)" % i

It also rounds it to digits up to 5, which is also time saving as it means I won't have to retype it on a calc to figure it out.
Report Spam   Logged
klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2012, 03:05:45 pm »

Holy cow python, you're so damn annoying.

If we have functions, I don't see how classes can be useful in any way whatsoever. And python just makes it more complicated because the devs messed up and didn't correct the massive flaws that classes have in python (mainly the whole "inheriting from itself" thing).

Edit so I don't DP:

Decided, due to wanting to know a lot of languages, I'll have a little system to keep me organized. Basically, I want to be able to know a web language, a scripting language, and a full on programming language, so I can do everything I need to.

Plan so far:

Web: JavaScript (HTML5 too, but CSS and HTML are a lot simpler so i wouldn't count them in this)
Scripting: Python or Lua (Depends on how well I can figure out the whole python classes thingy)
Programming: Probably Java, C# or C
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: