Pokémon X and Y Fan Community
March 28, 2024, 09:56:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery SHOUTBOX Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Programming Thread

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Programming Thread  (Read 3145 times)
klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

Level: 44

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2012, 09:56:45 am »

To convert Fahrenheit to Celsius it's: C = (5/9) * (F-32)
To convert back it's: F = (9/5) * C + 32

Cheers.

I've downloaded Eclipse. I'll do a few basic programs to make sure my computer won't explode and then I'll go back to python.
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

Level: 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2012, 10:05:13 am »

Cheers.

I've downloaded Eclipse. I'll do a few basic programs to make sure my computer won't explode and then I'll go back to python.
Haha xD Try playing around with Swing - I find it fun lol. It's better than relying on command line output which I'm sure you've had enough of with Python Tongue

This seems like a decent site to learn it from: http://www.javabeginner.com/java-swing/java-swing-tutorial
It gives you the code and then there's a breakdown of all the components below it with a sample on each.

Here's the page I use for reference when it comes to finding the things I want (Also has code examples): http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/ui/features/components.html

Edit: If you need help with anything, let me know Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2012, 11:22:16 am »

Haha xD Try playing around with Swing - I find it fun lol. It's better than relying on command line output which I'm sure you've had enough of with Python Tongue

This seems like a decent site to learn it from: http://www.javabeginner.com/java-swing/java-swing-tutorial
It gives you the code and then there's a breakdown of all the components below it with a sample on each.

Here's the page I use for reference when it comes to finding the things I want (Also has code examples): http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/ui/features/components.html

Edit: If you need help with anything, let me know Smiley

I'll have a look at swing, but I'd much rather learn the language before using it's libraries, otherwise I won't be able to code from scratch if I want to.

I've made a basic hello world program that managed to run, meaning my computer can actually run Java Cheesy (Which surprises me because most java things can barely run when I use them).
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2012, 11:58:44 am »

I'll have a look at swing, but I'd much rather learn the language before using it's libraries, otherwise I won't be able to code from scratch if I want to.

I've made a basic hello world program that managed to run, meaning my computer can actually run Java Cheesy
Heh nice Tongue Don't worry, I'm the same way. I also prefer to code everything rather than using GUI editors like the one that comes with Netbeans for Swing - Ugh!

If you ever do programming classes with Java, they usually start you out with Swing applications. Then bomb you with OOP jargon and boring theory stuff like UML... -.-
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2012, 02:03:38 pm »

Oh god. I don't understand python classes. I don't get the __init__ thing either. This could delay my learning :/
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2012, 02:38:07 pm »

Oh god. I don't understand python classes. I don't get the __init__ thing either. This could delay my learning :/
I hate doing classes in Python, it's so weird. the __init__ is just the constructor (code that's executed when a object is created from the class) method. Comparing it to Java:

Code:
public class myClass{
      public myClass(){
             System.out.println("New Object");
      }
}

Is Python's equivelent of:
Code:
class myClass:
       def __init__(self):
              print("New Object")
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2012, 03:06:43 pm »

I hate doing classes in Python, it's so weird. the __init__ is just the constructor (code that's executed when a object is created from the class) method. Comparing it to Java:

Code:
public class myClass{
      public myClass(){
             System.out.println("New Object");
      }
}

Is Python's equivelent of:
Code:
class myClass:
       def __init__(self):
              print("New Object")

I think it's the "self" thing that throws me off. It seems like every class is just referring to itself.
I'm learning python through Learn Python the Hard Way, and it's been great, but I needed more help on the classes. So, I went to codecademy, and it was slightly helpful, but then it's editor started bugging and it passed me for things I know that I'd done wrong, meaning I couldn't tell what I did wrong and fix it, or it failed me and then didn't give any clue as to what went wrong...

God I hate the internet sometimes.
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2012, 03:14:32 pm »

I think it's the "self" thing that throws me off. It seems like every class is just referring to itself.
I'm learning python through Learn Python the Hard Way, and it's been great, but I needed more help on the classes. So, I went to codecademy, and it was slightly helpful, but then it's editor started bugging and it passed me for things I know that I'd done wrong, meaning I couldn't tell what I did wrong and fix it, or it failed me and then didn't give any clue as to what went wrong...

God I hate the internet sometimes.
Welcome to the number one thing I hate about Python Tongue

A book which I rely heavily upon in my classes:
https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Mark_Lutz_Python_Pocket_Reference?id=4PILpjlt8CgC#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDUwMSwiYm9vay00UElMcGpsdDhDZ0MiXQ..

I've just spent all day building a Controller class for my engine so that I can add support for game controllers. Still working on it but I've got the left-axis functionality done and just finished a function to check if a button is pressed. Next to do are onPress and onRelease functions.
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2012, 03:23:11 pm »

Welcome to the number one thing I hate about Python Tongue

A book which I rely heavily upon in my classes:
https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Mark_Lutz_Python_Pocket_Reference?id=4PILpjlt8CgC#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDUwMSwiYm9vay00UElMcGpsdDhDZ0MiXQ..

I've just spent all day building a Controller class for my engine so that I can add support for game controllers. Still working on it but I've got the left-axis functionality done and just finished a function to check if a button is pressed. Next to do are onPress and onRelease functions.

Java's syntax is beautiful. It looks like it would make a lot of tasks easier just down to usability.
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2012, 03:29:03 pm »

Java's syntax is beautiful. It looks like it would make a lot of tasks easier just down to usability.
Give me curly brackets and I'm happy. Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2012, 03:33:09 pm »

Give me curly brackets and I'm happy. Tongue

Yah, that's one reason I enjoyed actionscript (But I stopped as there weren't enough non-flash professional oriented tutorials).

I think I've worked out python classes, or at least the parts that I'll actually use.
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2012, 03:48:59 pm »

Yah, that's one reason I enjoyed actionscript (But I stopped as there weren't enough non-flash professional oriented tutorials).

I think I've worked out python classes, or at least the parts that I'll actually use.
I played around with AS2 like 2 years ago and then tried moving to AS3, but Adobe Flash was always too complicated for me and I never really wanted to make graphics with it. I took a liking to Flashdevelop shortly after and started using FlashPunk which took all my Adobe Flash worries away, sadly I never stuck with it. I'd recommend it though - and it's all free!
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2012, 03:53:48 pm »

I played around with AS2 like 2 years ago and then tried moving to AS3, but Adobe Flash was always too complicated for me and I never really wanted to make graphics with it. I took a liking to Flashdevelop shortly after and started using FlashPunk which took all my Adobe Flash worries away, sadly I never stuck with it. I'd recommend it though - and it's all free!

Mmm, but like I said, I'd want to learn AS3 before learning FlashPunk.

It's still a possibility though.
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2012, 07:04:33 pm »

Mmm, but like I said, I'd want to learn AS3 before learning FlashPunk.

It's still a possibility though.
One thing at a time! You don't have to learn everything, yet. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2012, 01:37:21 am »

One thing at a time! You don't have to learn everything, yet. Smiley

I know. Still finishing python, like I said.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: