Pokémon X and Y Fan Community
March 29, 2024, 10:29:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery SHOUTBOX Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Programming Thread

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Programming Thread  (Read 3351 times)
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

Level: 5

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 10:48:14 am »

Well that game didn't have any sort of validation or exception handling, it was horrible, but I had the right logic at least ^^.

I think that without GameMaker I would have had a lot of trouble learning to program. Sprites, rooms, objects, scripts, events... I learned Object Oriented Programming before even knowing what that was.

I am currently coding a game in Unity with C#, I've been working on that all night long, it's 9 a.m. and I have a class in 4 hours. Love programming ^^.

Hahaha, I've been hooked on a game I'm making in Java at the moment. I even take my laptop into my classes so I can code in secret - for my Japanese lectures anyway. I don't really need to hide it in my computer lectures Tongue

I tried Unity but I've never been able to get into it, maybe because I'm not really big on 3d stuff. It was really cool messing around with the demo stuff though!

Can I ask why? I'm teaching myself Python and I'm loving it. So many libraries and a lot of support for it too. Even the older versions.
I've dabbled with Python on-and-off and I do like how incredibly simple it is and the nice support of libraries. Just the syntax structure isn't for my tastes although that isn't stopping me from learning it.
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

Level: 44

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 11:08:18 am »

I've dabbled with Python on-and-off and I do like how incredibly simple it is and the nice support of libraries. Just the syntax structure isn't for my tastes although that isn't stopping me from learning it.

Fair enough. I won't be sticking with it forever, I'm using it to learn programming and OOP basics, maybe make a few small games and some software that might help me cheat speed up my homework. Afterwards, It's either C or C# (or both, not really sure).
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 11:21:07 am »

Fair enough. I won't be sticking with it forever, I'm using it to learn programming and OOP basics, maybe make a few small games and some software that might help me cheat speed up my homework. Afterwards, It's either C or C# (or both, not really sure).
Aaaah, makes sense. Looking forward to seeing a few of your games Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 01:10:47 pm »

Aaaah, makes sense. Looking forward to seeing a few of your games Smiley

If they ever get made, which I doubt...
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2012, 03:49:56 pm »

If they ever get made, which I doubt...
What's holding you back? I don't see any reason why you can't do it so believe in yourself a little, eh? Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2012, 05:35:49 pm »

What's holding you back? I don't see any reason why you can't do it so believe in yourself a little, eh? Tongue

I'm sure I can, I just can't ever think of storylines (besides one that I have, that I think will work, but I'm going to need a LOT more experience before I go ahead with it).
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 06:09:50 pm »

I'm sure I can, I just can't ever think of storylines (besides one that I have, that I think will work, but I'm going to need a LOT more experience before I go ahead with it).
My programming life started with Game Maker, I don't think there's ever a time when you need more experience to start making a game. Let's be honest, you won't be making the game of your dreams right away. Just start small and mess around with it - that's how I'm learning Java right now, by diving in the deep end with game development. Tongue

On the topic of game development, I've been working on a RPG engine lately. Just spent all today working on importing .tmx files so I could make levels easier using Tiled. It's a great program and saves you time developing your own level editor - it exports to XML so you can easily read the files in virtually any language.

The sprites/tiles are placeholders and once development is further along, I'll be hiring a spriter to do some work for me Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2012, 06:14:20 pm »

My programming life started with Game Maker, I don't think there's ever a time when you need more experience to start making a game. Let's be honest, you won't be making the game of your dreams right away. Just start small and mess around with it - that's how I'm learning Java right now, by diving in the deep end with game development. Tongue

On the topic of game development, I've been working on a RPG engine lately. Just spent all today working on importing .tmx files so I could make levels easier using Tiled. It's a great program and saves you time developing your own level editor - it exports to XML so you can easily read the files in virtually any language.

The sprites/tiles are placeholders and once development is further along, I'll be hiring a spriter to do some work for me Smiley

Good point. I know that it takes a lot of effort, but I'm sure I'll get there. And I'd be learning Java right now as well if my computer could figure out how to open it without crashing. Might still do it alongside C# though. Where are you learning it?

Oh, and your RPG engine, looks good from the screenshot Cheesy Will you be releasing the code for it?

--------

In other news, Minecraft: Pocket Edition has been officially ported to the Raspberry Pi by Mojang: http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2565
Best part: Built in Python modding/scripting. Meaning the modding community will only get stronger, and maybe we can even improve the android version!
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2012, 06:44:26 pm »

Good point. I know that it takes a lot of effort, but I'm sure I'll get there. And I'd be learning Java right now as well if my computer could figure out how to open it without crashing. Might still do it alongside C# though. Where are you learning it?

Oh, and your RPG engine, looks good from the screenshot Cheesy Will you be releasing the code for it?

--------

In other news, Minecraft: Pocket Edition has been officially ported to the Raspberry Pi by Mojang: http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2565
Best part: Built in Python modding/scripting. Meaning the modding community will only get stronger, and maybe we can even improve the android version!
lol nice, reminds me that I need to get a Raspberry Pi. I was waiting for the networking one to be released but then I just slowly forgot about it. :/ Now if only my Android could actually run Minecraft... Think I'll be buying a Nexus 4 soon anyway Smiley

I'm not actually learning Java from anywhere specific - more like jumping around from site to site as I google things. The Oracle Java tutorials are really nice for reference stuff, I had to look at them before when I did some coding with Swing. I didn't learn it all in one go though, I've been touching Java on-and-off in the past year or two. Not to mention that Java isn't my first language so I skipped most of the basics.

Although I did start off on something like this when I started out: http://zetcode.com/tutorials/javagamestutorial/
It runs along with Swing which is easy enough to start out with and you will find Swing continuously useful if you further expand on Java, you'll also find out that Java2d is horrible for games - especially cross-platform wise (The nightmares I had with that...).
My suggestion would to start out there anyway and once you're comfortable with Java, Swing, and Java2D, then move over to JOGL which is your saviour when it comes to game development in Java.

I won't be releasing the code for my engine, especially with the idea of going commercial with it. Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2012, 09:26:27 pm »

lol nice, reminds me that I need to get a Raspberry Pi. I was waiting for the networking one to be released but then I just slowly forgot about it. :/ Now if only my Android could actually run Minecraft... Think I'll be buying a Nexus 4 soon anyway Smiley

I'm not actually learning Java from anywhere specific - more like jumping around from site to site as I google things. The Oracle Java tutorials are really nice for reference stuff, I had to look at them before when I did some coding with Swing. I didn't learn it all in one go though, I've been touching Java on-and-off in the past year or two. Not to mention that Java isn't my first language so I skipped most of the basics.

Although I did start off on something like this when I started out: http://zetcode.com/tutorials/javagamestutorial/
It runs along with Swing which is easy enough to start out with and you will find Swing continuously useful if you further expand on Java, you'll also find out that Java2d is horrible for games - especially cross-platform wise (The nightmares I had with that...).
My suggestion would to start out there anyway and once you're comfortable with Java, Swing, and Java2D, then move over to JOGL which is your saviour when it comes to game development in Java.

I won't be releasing the code for my engine, especially with the idea of going commercial with it. Tongue

That website looks useful, thanks. I'll have a play around with java, might give me an excuse to screw with minecraft a bit Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Aperl
Eccentric Elgyem

Level: 20

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2012, 09:18:00 am »

Sato, you should install Eclipse. I actually had it installed on my computer and I've been using it for 6 months before realizing I didn't even have the JDK (Java Development Kit) installed. It worked anyways, so that's quite wonderful.
If you want to make games quite easily in Java, I suggest you take a look at the Slick library, to add it to a Java project you just have to import two files, slick.jar and lwgjl.jar (sumthin liek dat). Then you add images and you manage all game elements programmatically.

I am currently making a nice framework to manage procedural platform level creation. I can't really go into details because it's a project I am doing with a friend.

C# is great for games if you use XNA or Unity.
Java makes it very easy to program.
GameMaker is a solid basic game engine, but it's the programming part that limits me.
Report Spam   Logged

WHy do i have a feeling your going to be the serious wise man of the forum Tongue
D:< I hate you! That made WAY to much sense.
klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2012, 09:22:22 am »

Sato, you should install Eclipse. I actually had it installed on my computer and I've been using it for 6 months before realizing I didn't even have the JDK (Java Development Kit) installed. It worked anyways, so that's quite wonderful.
If you want to make games quite easily in Java, I suggest you take a look at the Slick library, to add it to a Java project you just have to import two files, slick.jar and lwgjl.jar (sumthin liek dat). Then you add images and you manage all game elements programmatically.

I am currently making a nice framework to manage procedural platform level creation. I can't really go into details because it's a project I am doing with a friend.

GameMaker is a solid basic game engine, but it's the programming part that limits me.

I recently deleted eclipse due to having no interest in Java, but now that I do, I suppose I'll reinstall it.

Which version is best? They have so many on their site, it's hard to pick.
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2012, 09:28:52 am »

Eclipse IDE for Java Developers is the one you want, you can ignore the one for EE developers.
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/eclipse-ide-java-developers/junosr1
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2012, 09:31:59 am »

Eclipse IDE for Java Developers is the one you want, you can ignore the one for EE developers.
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/eclipse-ide-java-developers/junosr1

Cheers. I'll have a look at Java over next week, I need to focus on finishing some python stuff right now.

By the way, does anyone know the exact (Like, to the decimal) calculation you have to do to convert between Celsius and Fahrenheit and vice versa? I need to know so I can finish work on a python convertor I made a while back. It's not specific enough.
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2012, 09:43:58 am »

Cheers. I'll have a look at Java over next week, I need to focus on finishing some python stuff right now.

By the way, does anyone know the exact (Like, to the decimal) calculation you have to do to convert between Celsius and Fahrenheit and vice versa? I need to know so I can finish work on a python convertor I made a while back. It's not specific enough.

To convert Fahrenheit to Celsius it's: C = (5/9) * (F-32)
To convert back it's: F = (9/5) * C + 32

I moved from Game Maker to Java for that reason pretty much. I wanted more functionality in the language and more power when it came to manipulating objects - hence Java. Plus I wanted to program for Android which Game Maker couldn't do at the time but now they've released GM:Studio and well... I'm not paying for that thing now when I can just do it anyway - and at no-cost!

Never tried Slick myself, I use LibGDX mainly or just LWJGL. Once I started using 3rd party libraries I saw Java in a whole new light and decided to go further with it Smiley

When you're allowed to, I would like to see your procedural level generator, or even the finished game. Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: