Pokémon X and Y Fan Community
March 29, 2024, 08:41:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery SHOUTBOX Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Programming Thread

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Programming Thread  (Read 3347 times)
klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

Level: 44

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: November 12, 2012, 09:51:50 am »

A few of us on here know how to program, so post anything your working on, any languages you've been learning, errors you need help with, etc.

I'm working on a text adventure game in python. It's about cats Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 06:10:52 am »

Well, that idea fell through fast. Now I'm making a zelda style action game in Game Maker.
Report Spam   Logged
Aperl
Eccentric Elgyem

Level: 20

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 10:26:34 am »

Aperl's Game Showcase

http://pipes-mania.googlecode.com/files/Instructions.doc

Download this file, rename it Instructions.zip and open it.
I have placed in there my most notable GameMaker, C# and Java games.

CSharp - Pipes Mania
This game was my first big project in C#. You click on pipes to rotate them in order to have a closed circuit. You can have multiple circuits though, the only goal is to have all the pipes connected to other pipes. The file options.txt allows you to specify the size of the map, as well as the files you'll be using as backgrounds and tilesets. In-game, the menu does not work. Press R to start a new level. All levels are possible.

CSharp - PaintTextBox
Might not work properly if you are not using Windows Vista or 7. You select characters on the right and draw them by moving your mouse over the screen. It was a mouse position test.

CSharp - SnakeTextBox
Who's never wanted to play a text version of Snake? Pretty much everyone... But hey, play with ASDF and don't touch your tail or the walls!

Java - Pipes Mania
Remake of my C# game. But now, you have three kinds of tiles. Green ones are rotating. Blue ones have two different values. Red ones cannot be modified. The properties file determines how tall is the game board, and how many there are Red and Blue tiles (the rest is green).

GameMaker - AllSpark
Shift to accelerate, Ctrl to brake/reverse, Left and Right arrows to turn. Change into character mode with Space, then click to shoot, though bullets have no use for now. Collect the AllSpark to earn points.

GameMaker - Breakout
Mouse to control, only one level though I have a complete 20-level version.

GameMaker - CityTest
Just an engine where you can go inside buildings in a city. Some buildings are not working yet.

GameMaker - Marauders Map
I love Harry Potter, so I made this engine of footsteps. They can be controlled with 1) Arrows, 2) ASDW, 3) The mouse.

GameMaker - Rolab
My biggest maze project. Nice concept, boring levels. Press F11/F12 to enter/leave vehicles or portals. Move with Arrow keys. If you're standing on coloured tiles, you can remotely control vehicles with ASDW. A lot of specifications, like vehicles go through fire and stuff. Shovels destroy breakable rocks.

GameMaker - RushHour Xtreme
Press Play, write your name and select No. Your account will be created. Press F10/F11 (not sure which one, so do both) to save your progress, next time you'll play write your name and then press Yes to load. Click on cars then move them with Arrow keys. Better instructions are offered in-game.

GameMaker - SuperSnake
My best snake game up to now, try all difficulty levels and all styles, Freestyle is my fave. Winks to Meerca Chase from Neopets.

Have fun!
Report Spam   Logged

WHy do i have a feeling your going to be the serious wise man of the forum Tongue
D:< I hate you! That made WAY to much sense.
klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 10:51:06 am »

@Aperl

Very cool, but why is it a .doc file instead of just calling it .zip or .rar?
Report Spam   Logged
Aperl
Eccentric Elgyem

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 11:31:21 am »

@Aperl

Very cool, but why is it a .doc file instead of just calling it .zip or .rar?
Because GoogleCode is public and I don't want anyone to access these games easily.
If I wanted to have my works known, I'd publish them on YoYoGames or make a website for myself.
For now, it's just to share with you guys.
Report Spam   Logged

WHy do i have a feeling your going to be the serious wise man of the forum Tongue
klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 11:59:28 am »

Because GoogleCode is public and I don't want anyone to access these games easily.
If I wanted to have my works known, I'd publish them on YoYoGames or make a website for myself.
For now, it's just to share with you guys.

Aw, thanks Cheesy

I'm not sure where to go next after python. I'll definitely be learning HTML5 (HTML, CSS, JavaScript) at some point, but for right now, I'm stuck between C or C#. Suggestions?
Report Spam   Logged
Milky13
Dr.Smiles
Energetic Electabuzz

Level: 24

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 03:37:46 pm »

Aperl's Game Showcase

http://pipes-mania.googlecode.com/files/Instructions.doc

Download this file, rename it Instructions.zip and open it.
I have placed in there my most notable GameMaker, C# and Java games.

CSharp - Pipes Mania
This game was my first big project in C#. You click on pipes to rotate them in order to have a closed circuit. You can have multiple circuits though, the only goal is to have all the pipes connected to other pipes. The file options.txt allows you to specify the size of the map, as well as the files you'll be using as backgrounds and tilesets. In-game, the menu does not work. Press R to start a new level. All levels are possible.

CSharp - PaintTextBox
Might not work properly if you are not using Windows Vista or 7. You select characters on the right and draw them by moving your mouse over the screen. It was a mouse position test.

CSharp - SnakeTextBox
Who's never wanted to play a text version of Snake? Pretty much everyone... But hey, play with ASDF and don't touch your tail or the walls!

Java - Pipes Mania
Remake of my C# game. But now, you have three kinds of tiles. Green ones are rotating. Blue ones have two different values. Red ones cannot be modified. The properties file determines how tall is the game board, and how many there are Red and Blue tiles (the rest is green).

GameMaker - AllSpark
Shift to accelerate, Ctrl to brake/reverse, Left and Right arrows to turn. Change into character mode with Space, then click to shoot, though bullets have no use for now. Collect the AllSpark to earn points.

GameMaker - Breakout
Mouse to control, only one level though I have a complete 20-level version.

GameMaker - CityTest
Just an engine where you can go inside buildings in a city. Some buildings are not working yet.

GameMaker - Marauders Map
I love Harry Potter, so I made this engine of footsteps. They can be controlled with 1) Arrows, 2) ASDW, 3) The mouse.

GameMaker - Rolab
My biggest maze project. Nice concept, boring levels. Press F11/F12 to enter/leave vehicles or portals. Move with Arrow keys. If you're standing on coloured tiles, you can remotely control vehicles with ASDW. A lot of specifications, like vehicles go through fire and stuff. Shovels destroy breakable rocks.

GameMaker - RushHour Xtreme
Press Play, write your name and select No. Your account will be created. Press F10/F11 (not sure which one, so do both) to save your progress, next time you'll play write your name and then press Yes to load. Click on cars then move them with Arrow keys. Better instructions are offered in-game.

GameMaker - SuperSnake
My best snake game up to now, try all difficulty levels and all styles, Freestyle is my fave. Winks to Meerca Chase from Neopets.

Have fun!

What do you mean a text based version of snake though?
Report Spam   Logged

Bi people get about 20% more sex than Hetero or Homosexual people because of the minuscule amount of ****s they give.
Aperl
Eccentric Elgyem

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 07:49:55 pm »

What do you mean a text based version of snake though?
Try it ^^.
You'll understand what I mean.
The snake is a bunch of O letters, the game board is actually a text area.
Report Spam   Logged

Milky13
Dr.Smiles
Energetic Electabuzz

Level: 24

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 09:25:09 pm »

Try it ^^.
You'll understand what I mean.
The snake is a bunch of O letters, the game board is actually a text area.

It's actually pretty cool.
Report Spam   Logged

Bi people get about 20% more sex than Hetero or Homosexual people because of the minuscule amount of ****s they give.
Steel
Shellfish Pokémon
Gallant Gligar

Level: 43

カメックス

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 09:47:53 pm »

I wish I knew how to program ;-;
Report Spam   Logged

Aperl
Eccentric Elgyem

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 11:32:59 pm »

It's actually pretty cool.
It's very primitive, but it shows how much you can do with a bunch of characters if you know how to handle them.

After one semester of basic Java studies, I could already make a basic MasterMind game. It was like 5 years after I had made my first games off GameMaker.

Seriously if anyone is interested to know more about GameMaker and to start working with it, you can count me as a reference.
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 01:39:12 am »

If you want to make games, game maker is awesome and surprisingly not crap.
Else, python.

Alternatively:

Code:
if you_want_to_make_games == True:
      answer = "Game maker"
else:
      answer = "Python"
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

Level: 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 07:39:55 am »

It's very primitive, but it shows how much you can do with a bunch of characters if you know how to handle them.
After one semester of basic Java studies, I could already make a basic MasterMind game. It was like 5 years after I had made my first games off GameMaker.

Seriously if anyone is interested to know more about GameMaker and to start working with it, you can count me as a reference.
A semester of Java? I'm jealous. Hopefully I get that next semester as I have a module on OOP and I don't see why they wouldn't put us onto Java for that. At the moment I'm stuck doing Python which I'm not really fond of.

Oh the good old Game Maker days - it's good for game making obviously and it's the best tool for quickly testing things out. Because of Game Maker I got into programming and it pretty much turned my life around, it's definitely worth the price tag but now I've moved on to Java. I wouldn't stick with it and try to make a career out of it, just let it teach you the programming basics and it'll help you out enormously.
Report Spam   Logged

Aperl
Eccentric Elgyem

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 07:58:18 am »

A semester of Java? I'm jealous. Hopefully I get that next semester as I have a module on OOP and I don't see why they wouldn't put us onto Java for that. At the moment I'm stuck doing Python which I'm not really fond of.

Oh the good old Game Maker days - it's good for game making obviously and it's the best tool for quickly testing things out. Because of Game Maker I got into programming and it pretty much turned my life around, it's definitely worth the price tag but now I've moved on to Java. I wouldn't stick with it and try to make a career out of it, just let it teach you the programming basics and it'll help you out enormously.
Well that game didn't have any sort of validation or exception handling, it was horrible, but I had the right logic at least ^^.

I think that without GameMaker I would have had a lot of trouble learning to program. Sprites, rooms, objects, scripts, events... I learned Object Oriented Programming before even knowing what that was.

I am currently coding a game in Unity with C#, I've been working on that all night long, it's 9 a.m. and I have a class in 4 hours. Love programming ^^.
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 09:59:23 am »

At the moment I'm stuck doing Python which I'm not really fond of.

Can I ask why? I'm teaching myself Python and I'm loving it. So many libraries and a lot of support for it too. Even the older versions.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: