Pokémon X and Y Fan Community
March 28, 2024, 08:03:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery SHOUTBOX Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Programming Thread

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Programming Thread  (Read 3235 times)
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

Level: 5

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2012, 02:31:20 am »

It's a good idea to learn a language for each purpose, but I wouldn't worry about it all that much yet. Just focus on at least getting a language under your belt before taking on more. I've been using PHP for over a year before I went over to another language like Java.

Ludum Dare is next weekend if you want a little challenge at making a game in 48 hours which then gets scored by the community. :p For the preceding ones I've been using Game Maker and this will be my first time using Java!
You could even use this chance to make a game in HTML5 if you want to try learning it, it's a wise-choice and I'd totally go for it! Don't think there's things you need to know before making a game, I got into Java by skipping right into game development.

Just follow a tutorial or two Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

Level: 44

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2012, 06:50:15 am »

It's a good idea to learn a language for each purpose, but I wouldn't worry about it all that much yet. Just focus on at least getting a language under your belt before taking on more. I've been using PHP for over a year before I went over to another language like Java.

Ludum Dare is next weekend if you want a little challenge at making a game in 48 hours which then gets scored by the community. :p For the preceding ones I've been using Game Maker and this will be my first time using Java!
You could even use this chance to make a game in HTML5 if you want to try learning it, it's a wise-choice and I'd totally go for it! Don't think there's things you need to know before making a game, I got into Java by skipping right into game development.

Just follow a tutorial or two Smiley

Don't worry, this is all for the future. I'm still on python.

Well, I'm not sure I'd want to go into HTML5 for game dev without actually knowing HTML5 in the first place. I feel like I wouldn't learn as much, especially if I plan on using HTML5 for things other than games.

Still, it's a possibility, so thanks for the suggestion.

NINJA EDIT: If I don't try HTML5, I'll just use PyGame and see if I can get it working. I was playing around with Pyglet as well which could also work.
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2012, 10:43:51 am »

Don't worry, this is all for the future. I'm still on python.

Well, I'm not sure I'd want to go into HTML5 for game dev without actually knowing HTML5 in the first place. I feel like I wouldn't learn as much, especially if I plan on using HTML5 for things other than games.

Still, it's a possibility, so thanks for the suggestion.

NINJA EDIT: If I don't try HTML5, I'll just use PyGame and see if I can get it working. I was playing around with Pyglet as well which could also work.
Sounds like you've been using Python for a while now, how about giving pygame a try? Smiley
You're ready for it!
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2012, 12:19:45 pm »

Sounds like you've been using Python for a while now, how about giving pygame a try? Smiley
You're ready for it!

Still don't understand classes, but I'll get there...

Also, my face when JavaScript has no classes:
Report Spam   Logged
Aperl
Eccentric Elgyem

Level: 20

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2012, 02:12:50 pm »

Still don't understand classes, but I'll get there...

Also, my face when JavaScript has no classes:

Classes are the best part of programming, object-oriented programming makes everything so organized. Very complex at times, but when you get the hang of it you can do everything.
Report Spam   Logged

WHy do i have a feeling your going to be the serious wise man of the forum Tongue
D:< I hate you! That made WAY to much sense.
klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2012, 03:24:03 pm »

Classes are the best part of programming, object-oriented programming makes everything so organized. Very complex at times, but when you get the hang of it you can do everything.

Well, once I get the hang of it, hopefully I'll think that way.
There are ways to get a semi-OOP way of using JavaScript, but I don't think they are required to get the most out of it.

Also, I'm getting an Android phone that doesn't suck soon, so I could try some Java on it...
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2012, 03:37:48 pm »

Well, once I get the hang of it, hopefully I'll think that way.
There are ways to get a semi-OOP way of using JavaScript, but I don't think they are required to get the most out of it.

Also, I'm getting an Android phone that doesn't suck soon, so I could try some Java on it...
Hope it's a Nexus 4 Cheesy

And JavaScript does have classes, although can be mistaken as functions? I honestly haven't done OOP in JS but I use things that I can only see working with classes. Eg, Google Maps API (Which I'm working with right now).

http://www.phpied.com/3-ways-to-define-a-javascript-class/
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2012, 03:46:19 pm »

Hope it's a Nexus 4 Cheesy

And JavaScript does have classes, although can be mistaken as functions? I honestly haven't done OOP in JS but I use things that I can only see working with classes. Eg, Google Maps API (Which I'm working with right now).

http://www.phpied.com/3-ways-to-define-a-javascript-class/

I think it's more like, functions can be used in a way similar to classes, but there aren't actual classes built in. Bit strange, but if it works, not sure it matters Cheesy

And it's an HTC One S. It was either that or the Motorola Razr i. The contracts for a Nexus 4 are too high for me...
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2012, 03:16:58 am »

I think it's more like, functions can be used in a way similar to classes, but there aren't actual classes built in. Bit strange, but if it works, not sure it matters Cheesy

And it's an HTC One S. It was either that or the Motorola Razr i. The contracts for a Nexus 4 are too high for me...
Ooh the contract prices are waaay too high here, too. That's why you get it from the google play store (which is insanely cheap) and you can go on any network you want with it. If you get the phone on contract over here, you're paying like twice the price in a year alone. It's insane.
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2012, 09:56:30 am »

Ooh the contract prices are waaay too high here, too. That's why you get it from the google play store (which is insanely cheap) and you can go on any network you want with it. If you get the phone on contract over here, you're paying like twice the price in a year alone. It's insane.

Well, I'm not the one paying for the contract, so I can't complain Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2012, 10:19:52 am »

EDIT BECAUSE I CHANGED MY MIND ON SOMETHING.

I'm honestly not sure what to pick between C# or C. C# has XNA, C has Allegro, and it'll make it easier for me to learn C++ (which I want to do eventually, but not in the near future). Thoughts? Most people would say C as it makes it easier to learn everything else.

Also, I've come up with a fun idea for a new Python text game, so I'm happily planning it. InDev title is "Dark Adventure".
Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2012, 02:47:33 pm »

EDIT BECAUSE I CHANGED MY MIND ON SOMETHING.

I'm honestly not sure what to pick between C# or C. C# has XNA, C has Allegro, and it'll make it easier for me to learn C++ (which I want to do eventually, but not in the near future). Thoughts? Most people would say C as it makes it easier to learn everything else.

Also, I've come up with a fun idea for a new Python text game, so I'm happily planning it. InDev title is "Dark Adventure".

Both languages have their good and bad and I would say go for C# over C - simply because it makes life easier. XNA is pretty fun, too.
Report Spam   Logged

klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2012, 02:59:39 pm »

Both languages have their good and bad and I would say go for C# over C - simply because it makes life easier. XNA is pretty fun, too.

Alright, thanks for the input. I really need to read up on what features XNA even has.
Report Spam   Logged
klondikebar
Global Moderator
Malevolent Murkrow

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2012, 03:51:57 pm »

Okay, I need to organize this, because there's so damn much I want to learn.

HTML5 is a great technology, but it's still young. I'll learn it when it improves.
AS3 is impossible to find good resources for, soo....

I'm trying out Haxe, and loving it. It's easy to find information for, and has ports of Flixel and FlashPunk, as well as it's own game libraries. So, hell yeah!

C# I'll learn, but I'm not sure when or for what purpose. Python I'll use occasionally for scripting and automating crap, and also for cheating on my math homework.
Report Spam   Logged
Aperl
Eccentric Elgyem

Level: 20

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2012, 06:30:21 am »

I would suggest C# because you won't have to deal with explicit memory allocation and pointers when you don't want to.

Personally, my learning process in programming (suggested by school) was to start with Java, then give a try to Visual Basic .NET and then start C#. Java has a very consistent and legible syntax and logic, and it takes minutes to write a working application. Visual Basic was just to apply what we know in a less instinctive syntax, while introducing the .NET framework. Then C# combines the .NET framework with Java-like syntax.

For having tried C for a networking class, I know it makes simple functions extremely complex because you have to constantly think about what to do with the objects and variables you create. Errors pop up and you can't understand a thing they say because they target the problem at a totally legit line while the problem started dozens of lines before.

C++ made things a bit more instinctive with object-oriented programming, but you still need to deal with pointers and a bit of memory allocation.

C# has all functions combined. You can use some keywords (ref and const) to use dynamic pointers and thus allow multiple return values for functions (great advantage over Java), you can explicitly manage memory, but it's optional. Event management is incredibly simple and strong. You can use properties rather than getter/setter functions, so when you say myChild.Age = -10; it can validate the data and throw exceptions if needed, while in Java you'd need to do myChild.setAge(-10);.

I would also say that Java is a safe bet, it has loads of libraries available, I still use Java to create games and applications, except the independent project I'm working on, where we use C#.
Report Spam   Logged

WHy do i have a feeling your going to be the serious wise man of the forum Tongue
D:< I hate you! That made WAY to much sense.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: