Pokémon X and Y Fan Community
November 24, 2020, 11:21:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery SHOUTBOX Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Programming Thread

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Programming Thread  (Read 1041 times)
Shihen
Magical Misdreavus

Level: 5

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 09:43:58 am »

Cheers. I'll have a look at Java over next week, I need to focus on finishing some python stuff right now.

By the way, does anyone know the exact (Like, to the decimal) calculation you have to do to convert between Celsius and Fahrenheit and vice versa? I need to know so I can finish work on a python convertor I made a while back. It's not specific enough.

To convert Fahrenheit to Celsius it's: C = (5/9) * (F-32)
To convert back it's: F = (9/5) * C + 32

Sato, you should install Eclipse. I actually had it installed on my computer and I've been using it for 6 months before realizing I didn't even have the JDK (Java Development Kit) installed. It worked anyways, so that's quite wonderful.
If you want to make games quite easily in Java, I suggest you take a look at the Slick library, to add it to a Java project you just have to import two files, slick.jar and lwgjl.jar (sumthin liek dat). Then you add images and you manage all game elements programmatically.

I am currently making a nice framework to manage procedural platform level creation. I can't really go into details because it's a project I am doing with a friend.

C# is great for games if you use XNA or Unity.
Java makes it very easy to program.
GameMaker is a solid basic game engine, but it's the programming part that limits me.

I moved from Game Maker to Java for that reason pretty much. I wanted more functionality in the language and more power when it came to manipulating objects - hence Java. Plus I wanted to program for Android which Game Maker couldn't do at the time but now they've released GM:Studio and well... I'm not paying for that thing now when I can just do it anyway - and at no-cost!

Never tried Slick myself, I use LibGDX mainly or just LWJGL. Once I started using 3rd party libraries I saw Java in a whole new light and decided to go further with it Smiley

When you're allowed to, I would like to see your procedural level generator, or even the finished game. Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: